• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Starting OC on FX-6300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Capture.PNG Capture1.PNG
Everything looks good. Do as Mr Scott said, up your fsb to 205 and add one click of vcore. Make sure your ram timings are set manually. 9-10-9-28-37-1t(2t may work IDK). I'd just go straight to 1.65v on the ram. Keep your htlink at or under 2600, but try to get your nb frequency up around 2400 and set CPU_nb to 1.3v.

I did this and core #3 failed this time not #4. I have noticed that the vcore stays around 1.440 to 1.428 and then goes down to 1.416 and will run there. Thus is when the core will fail. I don't think I can go one more setting on the vcore as my temps will likely go to high. With the settings per DNRDustin, my temps hit 58C. Ideas?

One more click on the vcore.
CPU/NB to 1.25v
Test again, watch temps.
You're very close to a stable 4.5. That is your goal, being limited by your cooling.
Don't mess with anything else (NB frequency or ram) until you're stable where you are now.

Last edited:
Maybe we added to many variables. Set nb frequency back to 2000, and cpu_nb back to 1.2v. If it still fails set your ram -1 click so it remains under stock 1866 frequency.

Edit. Did you up the CPU_nb voltage? Also keep htlink under 2600 or you're gonna need to add voltage there as well.

Last edited:
When I ran the test, I set the CPU nb to 1.3V. So, you guys want me to run the FSB at 205 and add one more to the vcore. I'm stable at 4.4. You guys want me to leave the ram at 1912 and up the dram v to 1.65. Is this correct?

Not to detract from the path you're on, you've got a good thing going and people more knowledgeable than I helping with your oc, but I'm surprised nobody has mentioned cooling your vrm section. Still got the stock AMD cooler fan and an open fan hub? Zip tie the fan directly to the vrm heatsink, it may stabilize your voltage and even bring socket/core temps down a significant amount.

I tried your suggestions Mr. Scott and ran it. After 20 min core 4 dropped out on illegal sum. Even after one more bump of the vcore it would at times drop to 1.416 but core 4 dropped out when the voltage was at 1.428. It seems that the vrm's may not like the heat. I was thinking the same thing as DNRDustin and adding a fan. The temp hit 62C during the run. Maybe it won't get 4.5.
I'll give it another go tomorrow with a fan somehow rigged to the vrm section. I have plenty of small fans from builds over the years.
Merry Christmas to all of you and thanks for the help so far.

Last edited:
Sweet Mr. Scott. You going to cooler it lower to see how far it goes?
What do you think about my 4.5 oc attempt? You think cooling the vrm section will help?

Just looking at the numbers above, your socket and package temps look pretty even so IMO the extra fans likely won't help a whole lot. If you can't get it to pass with a bit more V_Core it's most likely just your air cooler is reaching it's limits. Do you have the cooler fan set to max ? IIRC it's a 2000RPM fan and yours is maxed at 1800

Just looking at the numbers above, your socket and package temps look pretty even so IMO the extra fans likely won't help a whole lot. If you can't get it to pass with a bit more V_Core it's most likely just your air cooler is reaching it's limits. Do you have the cooler fan set to max ? IIRC it's a 2000RPM fan and yours is maxed at 1800
This has been in 2 different motherboards and it has always ran that speed. I checked my BIOS settings and according to the manual I have everything set for the fan to run max speed. Is there another fan I can get for it that would work better? I have searched for replacement fans for this cooler but nothing really shows up.

I think that any 120mm fan would work but even then the EVO is limited in it's abilities. If you really want that 100 MHz you're going to have to add more V_Core IMO but it may be too much for the cooler is what I'm saying. The difference in speed vs the extra performance isn't going to make a huge difference overall.
You could try 204 HTT with the same V_Core and see if that'll work.

I set the FSB to 205, set the memory to 1.620 v, set the CPU NB voltage to 1.2500 and have left the vcore voltage set where I have been setting it. All I did was install a fan blowing on the vrm section. It has ran for 1 hr and 45 min and the temp never went over 58C. Maybe a fan blowing on the vrm section was all that is needed. Right after I posted core 4 dropped out. I'll try one more click of vcore.

Last edited:
That's great Madman, I really didn't think it would help that much but apparently you needed a bit more air movement. Good work man :thup:

So the vrm fan didn't help with socket/core temps, but last time you failed pretty much instantly with those settings. Seems like it was worth it. Lemme get a screenie of hwmonitor. Are you getting less droop and more voltage stability under load?

Hey guys, I gave one more click of vcore. This put a max of 1.464 with a dip to 1.428 sometimes but would run around 1.440 to 1.452. I got 1 hr and 50 min out of it until core 4 dropped out. The temp went to a max of 62C but mainly ran around 55 to 58C. It didn't hit 62 but once or twice. DNRDustin, If you still want a screen shot, I can run it again and post it. You think this is enough time to consider stable?

Realistically, probably. P95 will stress much harder than anything you'll probably run.
Try it where it is with your daily tasks and gaming. If it doesn't BSOD or lock, you're fine.

Back