• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Starting to play with I7-960 need some pointers Pls

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

texasboy

Hi,

After 3 years of using an I7-920 CO. ( yes CO ), I bought a I7-960 which is a big step for me. Not trying to get max OC but a stable workable higher figure.
After reading the OC section in forum I decided to give it a try. I have now got to the stage where terror rules my brain and I need some help.

Bios at moment.
Frequency Settings

CPU clock ratio (normal 24) set at 22
CPU Frequency 3.52 GHz Which is 160x22
QPI clock ratio X36
Unicore ratio X16
Shows unicore frequency as 2560 MHz
BCLK enabled at 160
System Mem Mult (SPD ) set at 8 for now
Shows Mem Freq changed from 1066 now at 1280

Memort settings.
Enhance Turbo
Dram timing---Quick
Timing settings 9-9-9-24 rest on auto
Command rate set at 1

Voltage Settings
Load line Calibration set on Auto
CPU VCORE set at 1.30 Volts
QPI/VTT set at 1.255Volts
Dram voltage at 1.50

Everything else at auto
Turbo boost,CIE,EIST. ETC all disabled.

Using Realtemp, Prime95. Also ran Intel Burn test on Standard and High stress tests. Highest temp was 58 deg .
PC is running great at moment. Perhaps a member could look over my figures and comment.

As usuas MANY :)thanks

Last edited:
OP
T

texasboy

Hi, Perhaps a bad time on early Sunday morning. Pls keep me in mind.

Cheers

PolRoger

Nothing wrong with what you have done so far :thup: ...

The i7-960 was a high bin chip back when it was released and I would think that you would still have room to clock even higher??

I'm not sure what your motherboard's "auto" LLC defaults to... "Off" or "level 1" or "level 2"?

I would change your system memory multi to 10 which with 160 bclk would run your kit at default DDR3-1600 speed. I would also test your overclock with higher multi(s)... 23 (~3.6GHz), 24 (~3.8GHz) and turbo 25 (~4.0GHz) checking for stability and load temps. You may or may not need to bump up some of the voltages at higher speeds for stability?

Here is my Xeon W3570 another similar "Bloomfield" socket 1366 cpu to your i7-960 running at 25x160:

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
T

texasboy

Thanks Polroger, Will have a look at your graphs and comments.

Will post back a little later.

Cheers

OP
T

texasboy

Hi,
LLC on auto , settings are, Auto, Standard, Level I, Level 2
Mem Multi would not post on 10 set it back to 8 no problems

Increased BCLK in 5 s to 170 x22 no problems. Checked each time with Realtemp and Intelburn Tests Highest temp was 59-60

Bios shows---Mem Freq 1360.45 MHz VCORE 1.28.

Break for a short while. Need moe examination from Forum. Will not go further:)

Tks

note. CPU Freq now at 3.74gh

Last edited:

PolRoger

Before pushing higher on CPU frequency... I would still try to get your ram kit running at default 1600 memory speed.

What is the version# for your kit? (It will be posted on the side label on the individual sticks.)

I would try to bump up your VTT voltage to ~1.3v and drop your cpu multi to 19 and raise bclk to 200... 19x200=3.8GHz with sytem memory multi on 8 will give you DDR3-1600 memory speed.

I would also bump up DRAM voltage to ~1.520v/1.525v as well... Your combo might also need to bump up VTT voltage even a little higher too... Maybe... 1.325v/1.350v? Every CPU motherboard combo will respond a bit differently with regards to overclocked voltage requirements.

Attachments

OP
T

texasboy

hi PolRoger.

Here are numbers from Ram stick.

CMZ 12GX3M3A1600C9
12GB(3X4GB)
1600MHz 9 9 9 24
1.50V VER 8.15

I have noticed in BIOS in Memory Settings. One side A shows 8 8 8 20 Side B I have set to 9 9 9 24

Have a look at numbers before I proceed.

Tks

OP
T

texasboy

Hi,
Could another member try to add comments to previous points. I don't mean to repeat my posts, knowing full well that we have a time difference and people are at work in USA

If you can indulge with me for this time. Many thanks.

PolRoger

Ver. 8.15 for your kit is showing as having "NANYA" ic under the heatspreader. Different memory kits will have different manufacturer ic and some of them overclock better than others. My 4GB (dimm) GSkill Snipers have "Hynix" ic while my Corsair Dominator 2GB (dimm) sticks have "PSC" ic.

I'm not sure where you saw the "side A": 8-8-8-20 timings... Perhaps an SPD table for a lower JEDEC memory speed setting but for your kit at DDR3-1600... You'll want to set timings to: 9-9-9-24.

Attachments

• SPD info.JPG
    SPD info.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 171
  • Corsair DDR3 ic table.JPG
    Corsair DDR3 ic table.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 162
OP
T

texasboy

Hi, PolRoger
Presumed you at work.

Made changes per your suggestions. 200X19 gives 1600MHz Memory CPU at 3.8
Only increased VCORE to1.3O625 V qpi/vtt to 1.295
Dram still at 1.500 V (next increase shows I.540 V )
Bios shows QPI at 7.2GHz Unicore Freq at3200MHz

Temps tested idle 23 23 23 21

LOAD- 61-61 59-58 max

Tks a few minutes. be back

Note.---In Bios under Advanced MEM Settings shows Channel A and B
Channel A Standard Timing Control with 2 rows. Left one in bold blue numbers of 8-8-8-20 Right one to change to 9-9-9-24
This is repeated for 2 nore sections directly below for total of 3 sticks of Ram

Last edited:

PolRoger

Your load idle/load temps look good!

Running your DRAM voltage a little over 1.5v won't harm your kit. Back when X58 was current generation the norm for most 3x2GB kits was 1.65v. I was just suggesting a bump to DRAM to ensure that your kit was getting enough voltage. You may find that if you decide to run your kit faster than DDR3-1600 speed... You'll might need to bump up the DRAM voltage.

Some chips will run hotter than others... They range from lower VID "high-leak" samples (run hotter) to higher VID "low leak" chips (which run cooler).

You'll now have to test/explore more with your combo to further "dial-in" overclocks you are interested in running. You should also be able to run at 160 bclk with system memory multi set to 10 for DDR3-1600 speed... 23x160=3.68, 24x160=3.84, 25x160=4.0. Running 200 bclk with memory multi set to 8 for DDR3-1600 speed... 19x200=3.8, 20x200=4.0, 21x200=4.2 or variations like 21x191=4.0 with memory running under DDR3-1600 speed.

When dialing in your settings... Lower voltage settings for a given overclock until the aren't stable then bump them up a notch or so just over stability. There is no need to run heavier voltage settings for given overclock then what is necessary.

OP
T

texasboy

Hi,
PolRoger Before I digest your last message. I just want to thank you very much for all your help. I have never had a PC overclocked before to such high levels. As a pensioner this will give me lots of enjoyment.

Many thanks
texasboy

PolRoger

Keep pushing it...:thup:

I think you've still got more o.c margin (headroom) available for your chip. Temps and voltages are still quite reasonable... So you can most likely run it even higher. :)

See if you can run 21x191 (~4.0GHz) with memory multi @8 using the same 1.3v Vcore/1.3v VTT?

There are some "Bloomfield" samples out there that can run 4.0GHz (Prime) stress stable with ~1.2v load!

Your chip might be able to run 4.0Ghz with ~1.25v/ ~1.275v/~1.30v/~1.325v?? You'll just have to test it to know what it can do.

Note.---In Bios under Advanced MEM Settings shows Channel A and B
Channel A Standard Timing Control with 2 rows. Left one in bold blue numbers of 8-8-8-20 Right one to change to 9-9-9-24
This is repeated for 2 nore sections directly below for total of 3 sticks of Ram

I've also got a Gigabyte X58 motherboard... I'll take a look at the BIOS and see if I can find what your describing.

**EDIT**

I looked at my Gigabyte BIOS and I think what you are seeing is your Vengeance kit's default DDR3-1333 SPD table timings... 8-8-8-20??

Download CPUZ and check out the SPD memory tab for your kit... What does it show under the 666MHz (DDR3-1333) heading?

Attachments

• SPD snip.PNG
    SPD snip.PNG
    50.8 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
OP
T

texasboy

Hi,
No problems running 21x191 4.01GHz
VCORE set at 1.30625V
QPI/VTT at i.295V
Dram Voltage at 1.540V

Mem Freq showing at 1528 MHz

Temp Intelburn Test 63 63 60 59
Seems like more room if I needed. Run Prime95 for 40 mins no problems.

Have reset everything back to 24x160 for now 3.84GHz plus VCORE/VTT/DRAM etc.

looking good

TKS

Carlitos714

Registered
Your temps are looking good man!

This is how I would overclock your cpu.

CPU
Raise multi to the highest possible (24x) then dial in your BCLK. Test it and if it crashes check the codes below and they should tell you the adjustments you need to make.

RAM
I always let the ram run below their rated values when overclocking the cpu. Once you find where you want your cpu at then turn your cpu to stock clocks and start overclocking your RAM. Once you get an idea where you want your ram then put your CPU and RAM at the speeds you want them (max overclock you want for both). Then stress test.

Just remember that once you overclock your ram and cpu, they might need additional adjustment than when tested individually.

Reason I always test each individually first is to get an idea where both the cpu and ram can clock at.

BSOD codes for overclocking
BSOD Codes for i7 x58 chipset
0x101 = increase vcore
0x124 = increase/decrease QPI/VTT first, if not increase/decrease vcore...have to test to see which one it is
0x0A = unstable RAM/IMC, increase QPI first, if that doesn't work increase vcore
0x1A = Memory management error. It usually means a bad stick of Ram. Test with Memtest or whatever you prefer. Try raising your Ram voltage
0x1E = increase vcore
0x3B = increase vcore
0x3D = increase vcore
0xD1 = QPI/VTT, increase/decrease as necessary, can also be unstable Ram, raise Ram voltage
0x9C = QPI/VTT most likely, but increasing vcore has helped in some instances
0x50 = RAM timings/Frequency or uncore multi unstable, increase RAM voltage or adjust QPI/VTT, or lower uncore if you're higher than 2x
0x109 = Not enough or too Much memory voltage
0x116 = Low IOH (NB) voltage, GPU issue (most common when running multi-GPU/overclocking GPU)
0x7E = Corrupted OS file, possibly from overclocking. Run sfc /scannow and chkdsk /r

Carlitos714

Registered
When you are ready to push your CPU to your coolers limit fill this out and let me know!

This BIOS template is for a UD7 so you might not have some of these options.

Advanced CPU Features:
CPU Clock Ratio ................................ [21x]
Intel(R) Turbo Boost Tech .................. [Disabled]
CPU Cores Enabled ............................ [All]
CPU Multi Threading .......................... [Enabled]
CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) ................... [Disabled]
C3/C6/C7 State Support .................... [Disabled]
CPU Thermal Monitor ......................... [Enabled]
CPU EIST Function ............................ [Disabled]
Virtualization Technology ................... [Enabled]
Bi-Directional PROCHOT ..................... [Enabled]

Uncore & QPI Features:
QPI Link Speed .............................. (36)
Uncore Frequency .......................... (16)
Isonchronous Frequency ..................[Enabled]

Standard Clock Control:
Base Clock (BCLK) Control ................ [Enabled]
BCLK Frequency (MHz) .................... 200
PCI Express Frequency (MHz) ........... [100]

C.I.A.2 [Disabled]

Advanced Clock Control:
CPU Clock Drive ..............................[800mV]
PCI Express Clock Drive ................... [900mV]
CPU Clock Skew ............................. [0ps]
IOH Clock Skew ............................. [0ps]

Advanced DRAM Features: