• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Static Electricity - Grounding - PSU In a wooden case.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

killem2

There is now only one last thing that has been brought up and I don't know if its true or something I need to be concerned about it.

I was told that because the power supply is touching the metal in the case it grounds out everything so static electricity cannot build up. Now I planned on having metal touch things like the hard drives and the optical drives as well as the metal bottom that every motherboard normally sits on.

But I didn't plan on doing anything special with the Power Supply.

Do I need to have the power supply touching at least metal for all the parts or is my info given to me... well.. not accurate? I will do what I need to but I just need to know before I start cutting :D

Since I put this post up, I had been looking at other sites, not about this issue just how they came about the idea to build a wooden pc case, then many of the user comments started saying the same thing. I'm so confused. I didn't think current PC cases use the metal chassis for a ground.

I mean I can always use a scrap piece of metal to create a connection but I'd rather now. Are you saying I don't have to do this because its rare that static electricity would build up or because it really can't happen?

I would definitely connect the PSU's case to the rest of the metal bits in the case.

I would definitely connect the PSU's case to the rest of the metal bits in the case.

Can I use wire? Like just drill a tiny hole to a bracket and connect it in a subtle way so it is not seen but still created that bridge or does it have to be a solid piece of metal?

The power supply will have a small ground in the psu itself, and then it gets the ground from the wall socket, thats why a power supply can run when you put it on a wooden bench for benching etc
It'll work still the same in a wooden case

The power supply will have a small ground in the psu itself, and then it gets the ground from the wall socket

True and any wire will do it. Just connect it to each component in the case. MB, Power supply,optical drives, hard drives. When the wire connects each part back to the power supply and its plugged into the outlet, everything is grounded.

Back