• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

static noise from the speaker

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JDMStanced

Hi,
i just hooked up my JBL LSR 305 speakers to the desktop but there is white noise (loud static noise)..

The noise is not there however, if i plug it into my iphone 6s. My guess is that the PC is causing the problem...

Please help me getting rid of the noise

My PC spec is in the signature.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
How did you connect these to the PC? The 1/8" plug or SPDIF/TOSLink? Not sure what inputs those speakers take. I would guess 1/4" plug?

OP
J

JDMStanced

How did you connect these to the PC? The 1/8" plug or SPDIF/TOSLink? Not sure what inputs those speakers take. I would guess 1/4" plug?
Thanks for the quick reply.
I used 3.5 mm to dual xlr y-cable. Those cables that instruments use i guess.
3.5 mm goes in to my pc.

I also have a fiio e 17k DAC/amp. (Usb cable instead of aux)
Whether i use this or not, the noise is there.

ATMINSIDE

Sim Racing Aficionado Co-Owner
Can you try some headphones and/or other speakers on your PC?

OP
J

JDMStanced

Can you try some headphones and/or other speakers on your PC?

i can't hear the noise with my samsung earphone and sol republic headphone.
But then these are not really "sensitive" ear monitors. I have a more sensitive earphone that i can try tomorrow.

The fact that the noise is there when speaker is connected to the pc and No noise when connected to Iphon6s, tells that it's the pc problem?

ATMINSIDE

On the flip side, it could be looked at as a speaker problem because of the other devices working on the PC.

Did you have the volume cranked on the PC and DAC?

OP
J

JDMStanced

On the flip side, it could be looked at as a speaker problem because of the other devices working on the PC.

Did you have the volume cranked on the PC and DAC?

I should try to get a replacement for the cable first..
Volume was cranked up on speaker and pc. Used dac to adjust volume
Louder the volume of the speaker, the louder the noise is.

ATMINSIDE

Did you use the same cable to connect the speakers to the iPhone?

OP
J

JDMStanced

Did you use the same cable to connect the speakers to the iPhone?

Yes of course. The connection doesnt seem tight. With a little movement, buzzing noise appears. My main issue is the loud white noise when everything is still.

ATMINSIDE

Definitely try another cable since it isn't making a solid connection.

ATMINSIDE

I'm not sure what to try besides a different set of speakers.

OP
J

JDMStanced

i noticed something weird.
With my PC set up, i have wacom cintiq connected also.
With the speaker volume increased (distorted louder white noise), i make pen strokes on cintiq and hear the distortion changing along with the pen strokes.. what does this tell?

Nothing is wrong with the speakers for sure because the distortion white noise is not there when connected with iphone.

ATMINSIDE

Did you try disconnecting other devices from the computer one at a time?

Dlaw

It could be that the bitrate might be set to high in your audio settings. If you right click the speaker icon in your system tray, and click playback devices, you can select your device. Do so, and right click on it. Click on Properties, and then select a lower bitrate. See if that helps.

OP
J

JDMStanced

i moved the internet router and wifi router to somewhere else and it seems like the distortion noise has decreased.
When i'm not doing anything on pc (not even moving mouse) then the noise is not there usually.
But right when i scroll down web page or pan images on 3D program (or even moving mouse), the noise appears. Noise disappears right away when i stop scrolling or panning..

Mpegger

All the symptoms you state, seems to point to obvious RF interference, but on the part of the component picking up RF noise, which is not the fault of the other devices that are radiating RF as it seems the speakers are picking up on everything, not just 1 device.

Is the cable that you are using to connect the speakers to the audio device shielded? Are the outlets that all your components are plugged into properly grounded? Are the speakers and the audio output device on the same circuit? The same outlet?

Try switching which outlet you have the speakers plugged into around and see if it make any difference. If you have any ferrite chokes, try them on both the audio input and power cable. If you don't have a different cable to try for the input, a quick poor mans solution is to wrap the cable in aluminum foil, just make sure it is not making contact on both ends to any metal. It can (and should) make contact to a grounded point on one end of the chain (either the speaker side, or the audio output side, NOT BOTH). See if any of this reduces or cuts the interference to your speakers.