• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Static?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PCGUY112887

I have my KLH surround sound reciever hooked up to my NF7-S via optical cable. When I turn on the reciever, there is a tiny bit of static from all of the speakers. It doesn't matter if it's on mute or anything, it just always does it.... and it's annoying as hell.

I used to have this hooked up to my DVD player via digital coax cable and it did the exact same thing... and it was all the way on the other side of the room.

Any ideas? I can't really hear it when I have music or something going, but when it's just on and my computer isn't makeing any sound it just gets annoying. The only way I can stop it is by turning off the reciever. I have already checked all of the cables, and everything is fine.

Buhammot

I also get a bit of feedback, most noticable when I move a window in windows. I hear a tiny clicking at the speed that I am moving the window. I am not sure how to fix it either, but I only notice it when I dont have music going, and it is silent with the amp up.

Ryan T

It could "dirty" AC power. Meaning you would have to buy a power conditioner to clean up the AC power before sending it to the receiver. Sometimes if you have a flourecent (sp?) lamp it will make amps hum too.

Ryan

OP
PCGUY112887

PCGUY112887

Well the reciever is going through a UPS that won't let it go above 127v or below 97v but I dunno if that is clean enough....
Also I do have lots of flourecent lights... I just tested with all of them off and it is still there. I tryed unplugging the optical cable from the back of my computer and it stopped... so the static would be comming from inside my pc.... how on earth could I stop that?

Ryan T

With most receivers they turn the amps off when the optical signal isnt present. So its not coming from your PC. It could also be a 60 Hz hum that you cna get from the AC outlet. If you have a lot of extra time you can take your receiver and speakers into the middle of a room connect the power directly to an outlet. Then connect the speakers but try to keep the speaker wire away from the AC cords. Some of the lower end receivers just have bad amplification sometimes but if the static is there all the time no matter what volume I think its coming from somewere around the pc or through the power. A ups will not act as a power conditioner as far as I know. So you would have to see if someone has one you can barrow to see if that would fix the problem. Unfortunately power conditions usually arnt cheap so it isnt a common peice of equipment.

Ryan

stratcatprowlin

d4rr3n

Yep, i wouldn't be surprised if the AR's could do just as good a job. I only recommended the monster power one because i could guarantee that it will remove problems relating to dirty power. When i was first putting together a 2 channel high end system last year i had a bryston 4b-sst, rega planet 2000 cd player, bryston bp-25 preamp all hooked up to some some cheap surge protrector that came with my old pentium 1. I got horrible ground loop hums and buzzing with almost anything i connected to it, also using anything else in the room would cause interference. I then used 2 other cheapo surge protectors and it didn't help at all. I picked up that $80 monster power one and it completely got rid of everything.

Azzkiller

Ryan T said:
Then connect the speakers but try to keep the speaker wire away from the AC cords. Some of the lower end receivers just have bad amplification sometimes but if the static is there all the time no matter what volume I think its coming from somewere around the pc or through the power. A ups will not act as a power conditioner as far as I know. So you would have to see if someone has one you can barrow to see if that would fix the problem. Unfortunately power conditions usually arnt cheap so it isnt a common peice of equipment.

Ryan

The speaker wire is so low impedence and high voltage, that the odds of it picking up noise are very slim. The interconnects, perhaps.

Depending on what type of UPS you have, it certainly can function as a power conditioner. A full time UPS converts the incoming AC back to DC and then back to AC again, and IMO is better than any other type of power conditioning out there.

My guess is that the reciever is just overly noisy. My reciever has the same problem, albiet at much lower levels (I have very efficient speakers). You might try borrowing a friend's higher quality reciever and see if that causes the noise to go away.

Azzkiller

stratcatprowlin said:
Could the cable itself be at fault? Maybe he needs a new one?

Oh also I use 2 AR line conditioners/surgeprotecters and I got them for $20 each at best buy.They work basically the same as the lowest priced Monster
version.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1065169560446&productCategoryId=cat08201&type=product

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=1051384530122&productCategoryId=cat08201&type=product

I doubt the cable is the problem, as he had the same problem with his dvd player hooked up with a different cable.

Azzkiller

d4rr3n said:
Yep, i wouldn't be surprised if the AR's could do just as good a job. I only recommended the monster power one because i could guarantee that it will remove problems relating to dirty power. When i was first putting together a 2 channel high end system last year i had a bryston 4b-sst, rega planet 2000 cd player, bryston bp-25 preamp all hooked up to some some cheap surge protrector that came with my old pentium 1. I got horrible ground loop hums and buzzing with almost anything i connected to it, also using anything else in the room would cause interference. I then used 2 other cheapo surge protectors and it didn't help at all. I picked up that $80 monster power one and it completely got rid of everything.

Bryston reccomends you plug their amplifiers directly into the wall. They have a high quality power supply that rejects such noise.

http://www.bryston.ca/pdfs/38b.pdf on page 2

d4rr3n

Yes, i understand that. It wasn't a problem with the brystons. It was a problem with what the devices i was connecting to my preamp and/or my home wiring. Either way, no way would i hook a $2800 amplifier directly into the wall socket without using some type of surge protection.