• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED STEAM, best way to install?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
I have a few games I got with gpu's.
I have logged them in on my steam account but have never downloaded and played them.
I have 123 gigs open on one ssd 47 gigs open on another ssd, 847 gigs open on one spinner and 524 gigs open on another spinner.
where should I install stem and the games, do they all go in one file?
does steam go on the os ssd and sore the games on one of the spinners?
should I just get a big ssd and install everything there?

Last edited:

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
All your choice on where you want to put your games.

Steam by default installs to your OS drive...that can be changed. You can have steam install games in multiple locations. Look in steam settings, downloads and add a DL location.

Again, how you want it done, is up to you. What I do because of my setup is to install games on a separate ssd. Again, up to you. :)

OP
caddi daddi

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
so, here's my plan,
let steam install on the os drive, I have 123 gigs open on that.
have steam install the games to one of my spinners, I have 847 gigs open on that drive, games tend to take up quite a bit of space.

wagex

Chapstick Eating Premium Member
i actually keep my steam folder on my spinner for storage room incase i ever have to nuke my OS or replace it alot less information to backup just put a shortcut from the steam.exe in the folder and boom it works, also leaves space open on my SSD games do load a little faster from SSD but not much.

Janus67

Benching Team Leader
i actually keep my steam folder on my spinner for storage room incase i ever have to nuke my OS or replace it alot less information to backup just put a shortcut from the steam.exe in the folder and boom it works, also leaves space open on my SSD games do load a little faster from SSD but not much.

I do the same thing. I also install the games on the spinner as well and utilize the application 'SteamTool' to make the symlinks and copy files to the SSD that I'm actively playing.

OP
caddi daddi

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
I have the steam software downloaded and installed on the os ssd, now i'm dealing with "cannot connect to steam servers.

on the one spinner I'll make a steam folder and install all the game files there, if I get it working that is.

getting this

- - - Updated - - -

steam support seems a lot like this........

Attachments

• steam ******.JPG
    steam ******.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 114
  • ninja turtle.jpg
    ninja turtle.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 116
Last edited by a moderator:

wagex

are you sure you are connected to the internet? lol :D

wingman99

When you reinstall your OS on drive C: how do you setup your new OS so it knows where the games are at on drive D:?

wagex

When you reinstall your OS on drive C: how do you setup your new OS so it knows where the games are at on drive D:?

not quite sure, maybe just add the location to the library it will probably pick them up. that's why i just install steam to d:\program files (x86)\steam

jaymz9350

Got into the steam setting under downloads. Click on steam library folders and add the folder that contains your games

[email protected]

LOL! that turtle pic doe!

You can install your games wherever you want, I suggest you to install steam itself on the HDD, Other small 2D games on the HDD too, Games with long loading screens on the SSD, And all the rest you decide.
The reason to install steam on the HDD is cause it takes a lot of space you could save, And you dont need to boot it very fast lol.

STEAM FOLDER PIC.png

Lol now i know why my SSD is full :-/

jaymz9350

Steam itself doesn't take that much space, that 40 GB you see includes any games installed on your C drive

Janus67

Benching Team Leader
There has to be others in that directory, as steam by itself is very small

[email protected]

I'll check :p

Maybe just uninstall it and reinstall it? I got nothing to do tomorrow anyway :p. I might test some cards and OC me CPU a little, might as well finish my R7 240's single vs crossfire thread.

Janus67

Benching Team Leader
I'd just look through the folders, or use an application like windirstat to do it for you.

OP
caddi daddi

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
well they had me try steam://flushconfig, that failed to help.
then they had me post a copy of wininfo32 so they are trying to help.

wagex, being connected to the net is something for me to check, I'm not so good at networking so checking is a real thing to check.

[email protected]

Oh um nevermind.. I have Gmod, Arma 2 operation arrowhead, Rust, TF2 and Unturned on it .-. I dont remember downloading all these on the SSD..
Well time to delete them :D

Edit:
Deleted them all and it freed me 36GB :p Thanks :D
I deleted everything except Rust.

OP
caddi daddi

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
OK! so steam support has been no help, Comcast has been no help.
digging around the interwebs I find it might be in port forwarding in my router.
I have tried three port forwarding guides from the webs to no avail.
does anybody have a screenshot of their port forwarding rules I can try?