• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Steam holiday sale 2010 - starting 12-20

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chixofnix

And my saved games are kept at steam or on MY comp? Will I need to save and move over save files? Thanks guys
Depends on the game.
I believe some games store all their info in the "Steam cloud" but not really sure which ones do or do not.
Some titles will keep your save files up-to-date online and for future use if you re-install. This is handy both from a "backup" perspective as well as gives you flexibility to game from multiple computers with ease, picking up where you left off. Support for this feature, just as with "steamplay" (mac+PC compatibility), however requires developer cooperation, so it's not the norm. You can easily observe whether steam cloud is available for a game by looking at the corresponding store page. Any other game requires you to do your own backups - no different from any other game as the files will reside on your computer.

Witcher worth $5?

edit: Oh, and Bioshock 2 for $10? I liked the first one.. Same thing?
Witcher falls in a camp of "you'll either like it or you won't." It's pretty distinctive in the world of action-RPG's these days and that's saying something. I'm in the middle of re-evaluating my opinion of the game as the original North American release unfortunately had some major flaws (I wanted to like it, at the time) - but these issues appear to have been patched away over time with the current edition of the Director's Cut.

Note that for a PC RPG, the difficulty is kinda tame and the skill-tree/leveling system feels somewhat unpolished - there's a very big mod that tackles both issues called "Full Combat Rebalance." You'll want to consider whether it interests you before starting a save game. See the 'mods' link here: http://www.moddb.com/games/the-witcher

Action-RPG's are a broad category... The first part of the witcher (prologue) play very linearly, with choose-your-own-adventure-esque dialogs determining two paths of completion. Following, the game and world you play in becomes much more open-ended - this is a structure pretty similar to Dragon Age & Morrowing/Oblivion. The 'action' element also hearkens to a simplified take on Baldur's Gate/Dragon Age combat - there's a pause function to freeze the action and issue new commands / assess the situation. The only thing you need do in real-time is string together combos by clicking your mouse at specific timings (a la Final Fantasy 8, Super Mario RPG...). 'Strategy' comes into play as you switch between various fighting styles and imbue your weapons with oils for effectiveness, cast spells and keep yourself mobile to avoid getting surrounded.

tl;dr: At $5, it really is worth a shot if you consider yourself an RPG fan.

Bioshock I didn't like so I haven't looked twice at Bioshock 2... To each his own :)

Last edited:
Hooray, ran into my first glitch of the sale. Got the Unreal Deal, installed UT2K4, go an "invalid CD Key" error even though I haven't even gotten a chance to enter one yet. Nothing on the Steam forums about it. Using steams "check file integrity" function showed 1 file as corrupt, didn't help. Guess I'll try re-downloading it.

Edit: never mind. Screwed around and apparently I needed to run Steam as an administrator to let UT2K4 add the CD key to the registry.

Last edited:

Vengance_01

Grabbed the new Tomb Raider game. 15$ was a bit much, but for 6$ I can deal. So far 3 games bought for around 20$ in total. Not bad at all.

Chixofnix

Hmm nothing particularly sticks out to me today...

I tried the demo for Recettear a while ago and couldn't finish it... To be fair, the premise of the game - being an item shop owner in an RPG game world - is very clever/unique/interesting and is what really drew me in. My ultimate hang up (again based only on the demo) was primarily with the aesthetic that made me feel like I was playing a Disney princess game the and slow pace/dialogs that made most of the demo feel like a picture book... These elements may be positives for others so I would only suggest trying the demo first if you have the time - it just wasn't my cup of tea.

Anybody else have thoughts on the on-going indie packs? Anything stick out to you as a great deal?

Peeved Kitten

I bought and gifted myself 2 new lineage 1 accounts. Hoping to just use them for this holiday event...

That being said Lineage 1 is on sale for $6.95 It was the world's biggest MMO prior to WoW. If you've never looked at it check it out. It's totally different than most other MMO's out there. The graphics are non-3d, but the art-work is just awesome.

burningcpu

Mobo Cooking Member
I don't like that they disabled the "games under 10 dollars" search functionality, and that there isn't a simple text list of the games and prices for the sale. The graphic thing gets on my nerves.

Weak sales today. I'm not interested in any of it.

Edit: Ahh, direct link for the under 5 and under 10, if anyone is interested.
http://store.steampowered.com/browse/under10

OP
ratbuddy

ratbuddy

Recettear seems oddly interesting. Besides that, today's deals kinda stink.

I don't have time tonight to add today's deals to the first post, and won't have time before they change. If anyone has a minute, mind listing them here?

jivetrky

Recettear seems oddly interesting. Besides that, today's deals kinda stink.

I don't have time tonight to add today's deals to the first post, and won't have time before they change. If anyone has a minute, mind listing them here?

Aliens vs. Predator....................................$19.99 $5.00
Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale.................$19.99 $6.80
Zuma's Revenge!......................................$19.99 $8.00
Trials 2: Second Edition.............................$9.99 $2.50
Bully: Scholarship Edition..........................$14.99 $3.75
SPORE......................................................$29.99 $7.50
Day of Defeat: Source................................$9.99 $2.50
Railworks 2................................................$39.99 $6.00
Just Cause 2..............................................$29.99 $7.50
Assassin's Creed 2.....................................$29.99 $14.99*
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare..................$29.99 $14.99
Tales of Monkey Island Complete Pack......$34.99 $17.49

*Assassin's Creed 2 is only $12.00 if you already own Assassin's Creed 1

torin3

Man, I'm going to have to call bleh on todays deals too. Maybe Mass Effect for $9.99 isn't bad? :shrug:

Yeah. I'm thinking about ME2 for $10. The digi-what edition of ME2 is $20, but I think I can do without video and soundtrack.

I did pick up AVP at the last second for $5.

burningcpu

Mobo Cooking Member
Wings of prey 6
Deathspank 7.5
Silent hunter series 66% off
Alpha Protocol 7.5
Darksides 10
Mass effect 2 10
Deadrising 2 16
Risen 15
blur 15
Patrician 4 7.5
Operation flashpoint 3
blood bowl 20

jivetrky

Wings of Prey
$29.99 -80% $6.00

Blood Bowl: Legendary Edition
$39.99 -50% $19.99

Blur
$29.99 -50% $14.99

Darksiders
$39.99 -75% $10.00

DeathSpank
$14.99 -50% $7.49

Risen
$29.99 -50% $14.99

Silent Hunter 5: Battle of the Atlantic
$29.99 -66% $10.19 *All Silent Hunter games -66%

Mass Effect 2
$19.99 -50% $9.99 *All mass Effect games -50%

Patrician iV: Steam Special Edition
$29.99 -75% $7.50

Dead Rising 2
$39.99 -50% $19.99

Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising
$19.99 -85% $3.00

Alpha Protocol
$29.99 -75% $7.50

darkknight187

probably going to have to give Dead Rising 2 a go. Been interested since it's release but kept telling myself to wait it will be on the xmas sale. debating on darksiders but when i played it on the console it just seemed like one of those mash buttons collect orbs games. Lastly anybody know much about risen?