• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Steam Vs Sony Playstore Vs Disc for Saving Old Games

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kasm

Hey guys, I was looking through steam the other day and saw Final Fantasy 7. It made me think of all the fun I had playing it way back then, so I bought it. This got me thinking about going back and getting all the FF games and saving them forever.

It looks like the vast majority of them are available on playstation store and/or steam. I know steam has an offline mode, but I never have really used it. How does steam and playstation store work in terms of offline play? Would it be better to just buy the disc off ebay if I am looking to saves these forever?

Problem with disc is the system will eventually stop working. I know steam will work on all PCs as long as steam stay open. Playstation store I guess depends on Sony staying in business (their earnings haven't been looking to hot lately) and hoping they keep porting the games to the next generation console.

Me personally I would go with Steam. I have purchased a lot of older games I already owned (thanks to the sales) just for the ease of use and not having to keep track of and protect a physical disc.

The offline mode is pretty simple, as long as the game doesn't require you to be online to play all you have to do is activate it in online mode and you can switch to offline mode whenever you want. Not knowing how Sony handles the PS store as in if the games carry over to new systems I'd be worried you'd have to keep an old console just to play them, and consoles of recent haven't exactly been known for their long life span.

I don't know if it will be a deal breaker or not but the steam version of final fantasy 7 also requires a square online account that doesn't (or didnt) have an offline mode, which stopped me from buying it when it released.

There are also people who say the soundtrack is lower quality but I'm not sure about that.

I don't know if it will be a deal breaker or not but the steam version of final fantasy 7 also requires a square online account that doesn't (or didnt) have an offline mode, which stopped me from buying it when it released.

There are also people who say the soundtrack is lower quality but I'm not sure about that.

Can play offline because sometimes I get network error and a red dot which means it's down the only reason you need an account is to sync saves and use the character/materia booster I bought it off STEAM for £3.67 last year around x-mas and it works perfectly exactly like the PS1 version music and all. I use the 360 controller got a small install file from the STEAM Guides that makes the 360 controller change to PS1 buttons as there seems to be an issue when you change them using in game config, I tried to change it to PS1 myself but then I got 1 button wrong and it wouldn't let me change it but as for FF8 the music is from the original PC version which is horrible and I mean horrible but I found a fix where you swap the original PS1 music files with the PC version and it plays the PS1 version music again someone made it on the FF8 steam forums

Back