• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG SteelBox

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SteelCase

Hey all!
A little new to this, so here goes.

Coming up to a LAN party that I'm attending (SkyNet Wales), I'd decided to build up a custom computer case.
But I was concerned about modding; a lot of the cases that I could buy will do the things that I want to do, but better...

About a year ago, I came up with an idea using Sketchup:
10365782_10154828142635075_7843569540290947325_n.jpg

This was December last year, and nothing much came of it. That is, until a month ago when I realised how soon the LAN was coming around again!
My solution started out with 16mm, box section steel... A hacksaw, a sharpie, and a 45/90 degree marking tool. Had a few ideas about component placement...
DSC_0075.JPG
Something like that, perhaps?

More thought was needed, and I got frustrated with Sketchup; Time to switch to Autodesk Inventor. I saw an interesting idea in the form of the Silverstone Fortress... how about mount the motherboard at a +90 degree rotation? Which resulted in the following concept drawing.
Case.png

Note the removable motherboard tray, and the vertically-oriented power supply. That's better! Here's the first batch of welded frame in the boot of my car.
DSC_0076.JPG

I liked this. So, here's a bunch more:

DSC_0123.JPG

Power supply mounting frame installed, and motherboard tray welded up - though still rough welds at this point!

DSC_0137.JPG

Ground down the easier-to-access welds and fitted up some old parts; Because I couldn't resist it!

DSC_0144.JPG

And this is my solution to 'how to brace graphics cards?'

There's been a bunch more progress since (including steel panelwork), and the hardware is dummy for fitting purposes only- but what do you guys think? Any suggestions?

Matt

Attachments

• DSC_0075.JPG
    DSC_0075.JPG
    521 KB · Views: 235
  • Case.png
    Case.png
    480.6 KB · Views: 249
  • Frame1.png
    Frame1.png
    586.3 KB · Views: 237
  • DSC_0123.JPG
    DSC_0123.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 232
  • DSC_0137.JPG
    DSC_0137.JPG
    1,015.7 KB · Views: 242
  • DSC_0144.JPG
    DSC_0144.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 229
Swore I comment...

Anywho, it's looking good. Are you planning on attaching panels of some kind?

Aye. The intention is to have some cosmetic folding, to allow a little bit of shaping that would be less fun with the box section. I've also got hold of some pretty little dome-headed M3 bolts to fasten the panelling to the case, in a suitably industrial, 'steel' way.

I will upload a few images of the ideas I've thought through regarding exterior panel work, and a few hand-drawn sketches.

I'm considering having hinged centre panels for access to the motherboard. (Think vertical-lift kitchen cupboard doors)... They'd be a pain to do, but I think it would look cool.

Any opinions? Thanks for the subs! What features do you think would be interesting to see?

Looking good Steelcase. Something to ponder, that GPU brace that you created will actually prevent the installation/removal of the GPU's. Also consider putting some handles on this bad boy. A steel full tower LAN box will definitely give you a good workout. LOL

I like the concepts. With that size case do you plan on water cooling?

You are technically correct. The best kind of correct. Good eye, I hadn't thought about it. It also interferes with the coolers on most graphics cards as it turns out, just not the placeholder one that I had in place.

Curses.

Good thing I had a little angle iron in the garage.... Good news with that is, it's actually thick enough to take the thread for fixing the cards to. Now they're mounted more conventionally, bolted through from the 'front'.

Regarding watercooling; my intention is to ultimately put 2 360mm radiators in the base; the gaps between the lower rails are perfectly spaced to fit between. So far though, this has pretty much cost me a few beers and a few odds and ends... so when budget allows!

Placed at the bottom, because all that weight up high makes me feel uncomfortable. I'm aware that heat rises, so I'm fighting convection but I'm sure that won't be enough of an issue!

With handles, I'd had a few ideas. But I can't quite picture anything that looks good enough. Anyone feeling creative?

Instead of using a big thick bar welded on, use a thinner stock that screws in after you install the gpu. Drill tap like you would otherwise. Are you going to be installing side panels?

Yessir, there will be side panels. Not really decided what yet, or if I can do a window... I apologise, I thought I'd answered you before! and yeah, that's largely what I've done. Angle only so that it can bolt from the top.

Very nice. I wouldnt be to concerned about convection heat. So long as you have enough case fans with proper air flow the heat wont have a chance to rise.

For handles I really like the fold away steel handles at mnpctech. Rugged industrial look. Perfect for a build of this nature. You might be able to find them cheaper somewhere else, maybe even The Home Depot. ???

Been a busy chappie, a few projects came to hand-over time.

Took it to a LAN party this weekend just gone, and the general consensus was to tidy up what's already there, and not to put on panels at all... They liked the industrial, barebones look.

I'm not sure, but I do like it. Leaves things a little open to damage though.

Steel sheet material was the plan for the side panels, now I'm having a little rethink.

Looks good just open. A nice rugged benching case /w rear IO protection (the extra room behind stuff).

I'd make sides though. I'd love to see a completed full heavy duty steel case :thup:

Might I recommend a spring latch like this (below), at all four corners of one or more panels? Would be pretty cool to show off at the LANs. Has an industrial look, and would allow the box to quickly transform from a benching station into a full case.

Acrylic sides would also be very cool, and LED strips on the steel frame.

Attachments

• B2598H.jpg
    B2598H.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 459
Back