• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

---Stepping Explanation---

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sorry this is so long...

In your description of Steppings
you say "steppings are just the names given to certain batches" as if all they do is signify that next batch. I believe there could be one or a hundred batches made with a single Stepping. The manufacturer uses Steppings for far more than just identifying batches

Steppings change for a very good reason. In a years time they prob. run Hundreds of batches, but there are a very small number of different steppings in each speed grade, Right?

My slant on steppings... w/ a tip of the Hat to AMD and Intel Tech Docs I've read over the last 12 yrs....

Less Basic:
As the CPUs are produced and used, little bugs are discovered in the way the CPU runs code. These are called errata. Little errors. catch-22's. When certain commands are written in a certain way the CPU hiccups/locks/corrupts data, or whatever. The Manufacturer figures out ways to fix these small errata with workarounds, changes in micro-code etc., maybe they figure out some way to streamline code execution, Maybe even slight physical changes are made in the core itself, and when these changes are instituted, a new Stepping is assigned. So you could look at steppings as minor Core revisions.

Thats why, Generally(Not Always), newer steppings overclock better than the previous stepping, because of the changes made to correct errata identified by the Manufacturer, making the CPU more stable/less prone to incorrect code execution.... and more Overclocker friendly :)

As far as some Dates within a Stepping overclocking better than others goes, I think that is due to raw material purity at time of manufacture, and other process variables. Within any stepping You'll have good weeks and bad weeks, but on the whole, each new stepping should be better than the previous one.

1700+TBred B JIUCB, what is this?

Hi all. I just received my 1700+ TBred (AXDA1700DUT3C) from newegg.com. It was supposed to be a TBred A but I guess they ran out. Imagine my surprise. ;-) Anyway, the stepping is like none i have seen anywhere. It is JIUCB. (Yes, I read it and had four others confirm it for me. I have checked my typing here too, so please don't waste bandwidth asking me "are you sure".) Any help with this one? My guess is it is brand new for 2003. Can't wait to get this sucker up and running. Happy OCing!:D
P.S. You might want to go to Newegg and spend a mere $56 to get ya one.

wow! sounds very interesting. can you tell us the number after
the "JIUCB" part so we can figure out the week?

stepping

Pinky said:
Just a note, as I learned not too long ago, what is commonly referred to as a "stepping" is really a "revision code"...

I also created something of a chart that I'll paste below for ease...

Code:
XP1500+  AGKGA (10) AGOGA (8) AGKFA (6) AGNGA (4)
XP1600+  AGOIA (10) AROIA (9) AGKGA (8) AGOGA (7) ARKGA (6) AGNGA (5) AGLHA (4) AROGA (3) ARNGA (2)
XP1700+  AGOIA (10) AROIA (9) AGKGA (8) AGOGA (7) ANGKA (6) ARKGA (5) AGNGA (4) ARNGA (3)
XP1800+  AGOIA (10) AROIA (9) AGKGA (8) AGOGA (7) AKYGA (6) AGLHA (5) ARKGA (4) AGNGA (3) 
XP1900+  AGNGA (10) AROIA (9) AGKGA (8) AGOGA (7) AGLHA (6) AGOIA (5) AGKGA (4) 
XP2000+  AGOIA (10) AROIA (9) AGOGA (8) AGNGA (7) 
XP2100+  AGOIA (10) AGOGA (9)

AGTIA 9 0220 add that to the list of palomino 2100+'s

Re: 1700+TBred B JIUCB, what is this?

KimTyson said:
Hi all. I just received my 1700+ TBred (AXDA1700DUT3C) from newegg.com. It was supposed to be a TBred A but I guess they ran out. Imagine my surprise. ;-) Anyway, the stepping is like none i have seen anywhere. It is JIUCB. (Yes, I read it and had four others confirm it for me. I have checked my typing here too, so please don't waste bandwidth asking me "are you sure".) Any help with this one? My guess is it is brand new for 2003. Can't wait to get this sucker up and running. Happy OCing!:D
P.S. You might want to go to Newegg and spend a mere $56 to get ya one.

Im pretty sure that i sabout the best 1799+ you cant get. It is a "J" Tbred B. Generally "A" Tbred B's are better, but I dont think there are any for 1700+s, judging by how these just came out, i dont think the week and stuff will matte rthat much.

sense the post i have recieved a JIUCB 0251 DUT3C from newegg and mine overclocked to 2.0ghz @ 1.9vcore and 2.1ghz @ 2.1vcore

not too bad, cooling with an SLK-800 and 53CFM fan

with 2.1 they were 51

kinda hard to believe, especially on my 8k3a+ (reads the diode inside the CPU core)

but i have the best air cooler IMO and i have no case. i get wonderful airflow and my room is chilly cuz it's like freezing
outside and my comp is next to a window. it's not the voltage
that kills, it's the heat, so as long as i dont get too hot it's fine
with me :p

Tbred

That's really poor compared to higher end Tbred B's, that you have to use so much voltage to get so little.

Hmm... I still don't get it.

You list a lot of steppings but I fail to understand wich one I should go for... =(

I'm about to buy a new 2200+ system and I would like to know what stepping I should request. From what I can see the stepping that is mostly seen in heavily overclocked systems is AIRGA. Is that because its the most clockable or simply because it's more common?

:eh?:

Welcome to the forums!

Right now the stepping to go for is AIUHB. There are several diferant weeks available, and any of them seem to overclock just about as well. It's a matter of luck really, but it will still overclock alot better then the AIRGA stepping. xp2200+ has not yet been available with that stepping, so I would really have to advise you to get a xp2100+. You'll save a bit of money on the cpu, and it will overclock better.

Hope that helped?

I have a 2100XP AIUHB 0302 TP2W ,question is what does the "TP2W" stand for? I haven't seen any mentioned in the threads

I don't know what it means but it surly has pretty much nothing to do with steppings or CPU OCability, this part can be ignored

Ok, here's my question to all of this "Stepping Code" stuff.

2100+'s newest codes are AIUHB.
1700+'s newest codes are JIUHB.

What is the difference between the 'A' and the 'J'??

While I'm at it, what does each letter in a stepping code represent??

I know the last letter refers to the revision. eg 'AROIA ' is a T-bred revision 'A' and 'AIUHB' is a T-bred revision 'B'.

Anyone know what the first 4 letters reprsent??

Thx

Dean :D

Back