• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stick with my 8045 or go for a SLK800?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blue Jester_2112

Here's my dilemma, I've been thinking of replacing my 8045 with a SLK800. Right now 'm running my new xp1700b at 12.5x170 @1.7v, a good oc thus far, but its running at 44C idle and I'd like to drop my idle temps a bit more before I push on.
Right now I'm using an 8045 with a 48cfm fan (I forget the brand, might be ys tech or panaflow) and AS3.

I was considering upgrading to a SmartFan 2 and adding a thermaltake ducting mod to the 8045. (My alpha seems to prefer air blowing down into it as opposed to pulling off of it)

Another option was to get an SLK800 with a SF2.

The SLK would be nice since I'm tired of taking the MB out everytime I want to take off the HS, but I'm not sure the gains I might get would justify the cost.

What are all of your opinions on this. I know alot of people like the SLK line, but I'd prefer opinions based on the actual performance difference I'd see between these two possible setups as opposed to simple replies of "Get the 800, it uber-roxors" or other such things :)

Also, what are the thoughts on ceramique, since I'd be ordering stuff either way, do you think I should give it a go? Even if it won't lower temps much more than AS3, the fact that it isn't conductive/capacitative (I forget which the current AS is) is definately a plus.

Thanks muchly.

Edit: Another option would be to match a tornado with the TT duct mod on the 8045...noisy fans don't bug me all that much.

Last edited:

AcEmAsTr

Edit: Another option would be to match a tornado with the TT duct mod on the 8045...noisy fans don't bug me all that much.

wanna bet? :p

my slk is coming soon, this sk6 isnt performing so well, i may get an sf2 with it, i shall tell ya what happens when ig et it

sandman001

Just Freeze It
IMO, just stick with your current heatsink, and save up for watercooling. It shouldn't be over $150.

glock19owner

you can order a slk 800 for around 35.00 now...so whats wrong with getting the SLK-800 and still saving up for WC ;)...

and definetly go with the slk-800...I have a slk-800 with a Tt2 fan and run around 1 - 2c over ambience temp (system temp) at idle and around 8c over at full load...and I do not use AS3, just AS...

Also what stepping of 1700 do you have...if a DLT W...I can run at 12.5x170 at 1.55v's with the SLK-800 also...before with the V9 it took around 1.65v's to run stable...

OP
Blue Jester_2112

Blue Jester_2112

OK, my bad, i have it running at 1.6v. It is a DLT W.
I'm really not looking at watercooling for this rig. I'm not even sure where I plan to take it from here. I may go for an Nforce board (running an 8K5a2+ right now) or save up for a dually. So I don't want to invest that kind of time and money in a water setup now. Heh, probably get a new case soon too so I definately want to wait with that route. :)

n8x2

Registered
The head to head tests I've been reading with the 8045 and the SLK800's (identical fan and test rig) show anywhere from 2°C - 8°C temp dif, I think mostly between 2 and 4.
So, although better, I personally wouldn't bother. My 8045 will keep my happy for a while yet.
But if you want one (I wouldn't mind one :D), then by all means.

SF2 sounds good, either way.

I assume the reason you take the mobo out everytime you remove the HS is because the standoff's spin? If it is, give this a try:
Stop those annoying spinnies
Worx 4 me :).

As for TIM, check out my info at the bottom of this thread:
Type 44
Arcitic Silver is good and all, but me and my friends get the exact same temps with this stuff. And we will never run out!

Just my 3¢CAN.

N8

OP
Blue Jester_2112

Blue Jester_2112

I decided to just pick up a SF2 for now. I'll look into different cooling solutions once I decide whether I'm going to upgrade to an Nforce2 or save up for a dually.

Thanks for the input guys, it is muchly appreciated. And thanks for the link on stoping those dang spinnies n8x2, I'm gonna give that a try next time I take off my HS. :)