• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Still no crossgame chat on PS3? This might have somethin to do with it

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rainless

Old Member
http://www.n4g.com/News-432494.aspx

So OF COURSE they *can* put crossgame chat on the PS3... they could've done it a long... loooooooooong time ago (it was rumored to come in version 2.5... then 3.0...)

But the PSN "Premium"... what could they POSSIBLY ad... OH!

That's about it.

It's state all the current free features will remain free, but they'll have "more advanced features" on a subscription basis.

Question is: Would gamers pay for cross-game chat?

Seeing as it's THE most demanded item in every survey... I'm guessing a large number of people would.

*I* wouldn't... because I don't even game online THAT much anymore

Automata

Destroyer of Empires and Use
If it was just that, I wouldn't.

It would really come down to what else it came with or if it played my games for me.

FudgeNuggets

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

This reeks of Xbox Live Silver and Gold......

Leave it to Sony to think about taking away their main competitive advantage.

iaacp

Yes, because they are taking away free online gaming, right?

Oh wait.

Anyways, you people need to stop jumping to conclusions and being paranoid. Yes I want the feature, but not I wouldn't pay (strictly) for it. Everything now is going to remain the same - meaning free online play, demos, etc. I'm hoping cross game chat comes free as well, but if not, oh well.

The thing I'm most curious about is its pricing. I wonder how competitive they will be in comparison to MS.

Flurp

The thing is... Everyone wants more always... true... so when something that a lot of people want is added(which we don't know what these features actually are do we?) everyone wants it. People would rather not pay for it and those that won't pay the price will rant about how it should be free... well Sony is a company and last time I checked they are in it for the money... they offer alot of stuff that people "view" as free and now that they have that large pool of gamers just gnawing for more... they cast out and start hooking up the fish by means of "premium" service... not a bad plan and I'd think they had planned to do this in the long run, I mean how many people do you think bought a ps3 because online was "free" ?

OP
rainless

rainless

Old Member
Sony's played an extremely smart game in my opinion.

They could've tried to use cross-game chat to beat out the 360 altogether (demand was so high... it would've worked.) But they instead decided to test the waters with, first, a price drop, then a slim version of the PS3.

Those two things alone gave Sony the boost in sales that they needed to eek past microsoft. Now they can just charge for anything after that.

They've been doing constant surveys for MONTHS now trying to find out what gamers want. I think the "carrot-on-a-stick" method has paid off for them

Somebody brought up a great point which is pricing: If they can offer an identical experience (or even a superior one) to Xbox Live for even 10 bucks less... then it'll send Microsoft packing for their NEXT console at this point.

And the service we have now would essentially be a beefier Live Silver, that actually let's you play your games online.

If... and it's a big IF... they can make that happen, Microsoft's options would be extremely limited.

Flurp

Honestly Xbox Silver is a joke... It's used to taunt players with gold... lol

Edit: I mean seriously you get updates for your games... o_O

OP
rainless

rainless

Old Member
and you get the honor of being able to pay MicroSoft for their arcade games, DLC and video content.

I didn't think you could even do THAT with a silver account.

I still have like fifty-a hundred bucks worth of Xbox Live DLC. My account is still technically valid... so I guess if I ever did get another xbox I'd still be able to play those games.

I hate the whole idea of digital purchases now. It's like I BOUGHT this stuff... now where is it?

shadin

I didn't think you could even do THAT with a silver account.

I still have like fifty-a hundred bucks worth of Xbox Live DLC. My account is still technically valid... so I guess if I ever did get another xbox I'd still be able to play those games.

I hate the whole idea of digital purchases now. It's like I BOUGHT this stuff... now where is it?

That's the reason I don't like digital distribution on consoles. Consoles are finicky and offer no guarantees of any interoperability between generations, in fact they often negate it so people repurchase items.

I <3 Steam for the PC and won't buy physical media anymore. For a console, I'll accept nothing but. Luckily I do almost all my gaming on PC so if consoles do try and go all digital it won't break my heart to not buy another one.