• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Still no sound

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Quint

Registered
I posted a thread earlier about no sound. Abit ST6, Celeron 1.3, SB Live 5.1 sound card. I installed XP, and it loaded MS drivers for the sound card. No sound. I then installed the OEM drivers with the CD. No sound. I downloaded the latest SB drivers for XP and installed. No sound. Everything is plugged in (speakers, sound cables from CD and CDRW to mobo. All Volumes are up, nothing muted. I have gone through the troubleshooting in device manager. Everything showing working properly, except I cannot hear it working properly.

The integrated sound card is disabled on the mobo.

Do you have to uninstall XP default drivers for the SB card before installing the OEM and updates? I did not. More help would be appreciated. HELLLLLLLP!

Pinky

I'm at a loss... sounds like the basics are covered... has the card been tested on another machine as working? Tried another line-out on the card, say set the aux out to headphone or something?

o770

whats the IRQ the sound card is using?
some ppl seem to get problem with the live! using high interrupt requests. this could be caused by a problem with its driver.

you can always try to remove the drivers and re-installing it just in case the problem is about the old XP default drivers.

OP
Q

Quint

Registered
I believe the following are the settings in the Bios for the sound card:

The mobo has 6 PCI slots, and the sound card is in Slot #3.

In the bios, the card is assisgned to PIRQ #1.

It reads as follows:

Device using this INT:
Multi media device
Bus 2 Dev2 Func 0

Multi media device
Bus 0 Dev31 Func 5

Simple COMM Controller
Bus 0 Dev31 Func 6

I am not real sharp on this part, so some guidance would be appreciated.

What is the best method to uninstall the drivers? Thanks again.

baqai

may sound stupid but what have you plugged with your sound card? if speakers have you tried those speakers with some other sources to check if they are working alright, and try attaching headphones to your sound card to see if your card is the problem or not

and like Pinky suggested try the card in some other machine and see if it's working or not

Creative cards are said to work best in slot 5 or 6, i had mine in slot 3 and it was giving me wierd problems like sometimes on bootup it just wouldn't showup, i switched the slot and everything was fine ( i have a live value)