• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Still on time for RX Vega april 18th? I'm itching to see its performance!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
To answer your question up earlier, i doubt it is breaking 8gb...if it is, it could have something to do with it.

As far as hbm, it really showed its worth at 4k. Remember fury x... slower than a green team card at 1080 by several percent, but as the res increased, the green team's lead decreased to nothing or maybe a slight lead in certain titles. So it matters, but really only up at 4k. I dont think the story holds true with gddr5x. I think hbm still shrinks the lead as res gets to 4k, but no..at least the lead wouldnt shrink as much.

It depends on the title and memory bandwidth needs of said title and settings.

Last edited:
I asked because the benchmarks in the article were run at 4k (3840 x 2160) resolution, and I thought the vram and HBM may have been the reason for that given their advantages at that res. That and the TSSAA set at 8TX. I thought maybe the numbers were so good because the bench was slanted in favor of the things Vega should do very well in (Vulkan, 4k).

That's more like 2020, but I wouldn't be surprised if VEGA is held off because of HBM shortage, and they tack on whatever they can to up the sale value.

I heard that Vega premiere ( at least paper one ) will be on Computex ... almost 2 weeks later still silence. Looks like next delay. It's pretty much standard for AMD already.

Current graphics cards or in general any devices can't fully use PCIE 3.0 x16 or even x8. I doubt that anything faster will be required anytime soon. However faster bus could be good for small computers so single lanes would be fast enough for graphics cards or storage controllers and future low power platforms would perform good. I mean 8 pcie lanes from cheaper series chipset could cover M.2 SSD+graphics card+all other devices on micro ATX or ITX board.

Back