• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

stock amd 2500 heatsink

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Evan

Registered
im using a stock amd 2500+ heatsink and i was wondering if the square thermal pad thing should be left on or taken off when using actic silver?

Ya know if you are going to only moderatley overclock the thermal pad ain't that bad. But that is just my opinion.

But if someone out there has any info about pads being that (5c diff) please share.

My stock Barton HS was the nickle plated copper one and the TIM material that was on it was Shin-Etsu. If it's a grey color, I'd leave it on.

MassiveOverkill said:
My stock Barton HS was the nickle plated copper one and the TIM material that was on it was Shin-Etsu. If it's a grey color, I'd leave it on.

Nope, the stuff on there is cheap stuff, if it is Shin-Etsu its the cheapo stuff not the high quality stuff, AS5 is much better.

so would it be a bad thing if I (theoreticaly of course) already put it all together using both the thermal pad and the as5.... how would one remove the old as5. Ill probally be buying a new heatsink anyway

Scrape the pad and AS off the heatsink, wipe off any AS or pad left on the heatsink and processor with 91+ % alcohol, then reapply the AS by following the online directions.

Evan said:
so would it be a bad thing if I (theoreticaly of course) already put it all together using both the thermal pad and the as5.... how would one remove the old as5. Ill probally be buying a new heatsink anyway

You have to remove the Thermalpad and old AS5 (did you do this, it doesn't matter if you did no one will flame you for it?) from the heatsink and the die of the cpu before you is it, and if you are using he same heatsink remove it from the heatsink as well, as per the instruction already provided.

Then reapply AS5 as per THESE instructions.

(yes i did use the as5 and the thermal pad together and it idles at 20 degrees)how do i remove the as5 from the actual processor? just use the alcohol on a rag?

Yep it should. You might want to think about chucking that stock HSF also. For the 2500+ it doesn't work well at all. I know from expirence. I would suggest purchasing a TT volcano 7+ if you want to replace it with a reliable cheap HSF.

Naw. Thermaltake is not a very good manufacture of products (but a good marketer), and the AMD stock heatsinks are fairly decent.

Follow the guides in the links above.

Thanks for the help guys, you seem to know what your talking about and i plan on taking everything apart and resolve my mistake by taking off the heatsink and removing the thermal pad and as5 and doing it over again after i lap the heatsink. I also plan on removing some fan grills and such to improve the overall airflow

I've had a pretty bad experiance with a thermal pad before, it was back in they day when i had a 1.2 ghz thunderbird (oh yea... back in the day when the pencil mod was a neat trick and DDR Ram was on the rise... :cool: ). Those things were HOT, i had a stock HSF on it and windows locked up all the time, even when it wasn't overclocked. I got rid of that piece of junk, cleaned up the proccesor and got a thermaltake volcano 7+ and some radioshack grease. Temps dropped real nice, and I still have that volcano 7+ to this day, on my barton now. Even though Bartons run really cool, i would never trust a thermal pad, just my experiance.

ok im gonna be taking off the pad soon, right now my temperatures are 37 degrees at the cpu and 20 degrees mobo temperature which i dont think are too bad

Back