• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stock Fans Stupidly Good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Deathscreton

Registered
So I'm planning on purchasing an FX-8350(because my poor Q6600 can only clock up to 3gigs and even then can't keep up with my r9 270x), with upgrading to an 9590 sometime in the later future if I decide that I can't get my 8350 to 5gigs without blowing up my rig. And naturally with that heater being put in my computer, the stock fan just isn't going to do. So I surfed newegg and decided that I wanted to try watercooling. Just to stick my toe in the pool, I decided with this:
Enermax Liqtech 240 All-in-One Liquid Cooler 27MM.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835214058

Fan Stats:
Twister Bearing
MTBF ≥160,000 hours
Speed 600 - 1300 / 2000 / 2500RPM
Rated Voltage 12V
Rated Current 0.13A / 0.27A / 0.45A
Air Flow 28.6 ~ 60.3 / 88.9 / 111.0 CFM
48.5 ~ 102.4 / 150.9 / 188.7m³/h
Static Pressure 0.8 ~ 1.7 / 4.7 / 7.4mm - H2O
Noise Level 15 ~ 21.5 / 27 / 30dBA
Connector 4-pin PWM
A dual radiator supporting two High Pressure 120MM fans.

After locating that, I realized that fans all have different stats and those are pretty freakin' important. SO, I did some MORE research into the fans, and found some other ones that are highly advertised and recommended.

Obviously, the Noctua fan series:
http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=42&lng=en&set=1

Fan Stats:
Size 120x120x25 mm
Connector 4-pin PWM
Bearing SSO2
Blade Geometry Heptaperf™
Frame Technology Focused Flow™
Rotational Speed (+/- 10%) 1500 RPM
Rotational Speed with L.N.A. (+/- 10%) 1200 RPM
Min. Rotational Speed (PWM, +/-20%) 300 RPM
Airflow 93,4 m³/h
Airflow with L.N.A. 74,3 m³/h
Acoustical Noise 22,4 dB(A)
Acoustical Noise with L.N.A. 18,6 dB(A)
Static Pressure 2,61 mm H2O
Static Pressure with L.N.A. 1,83 mm H2O
Max. Input Power 0,6 W
Max. Input Current 0,05 A
Voltage 12 V

And I also looked up the Corsair SP120's:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=35-181-040

Fan Stats:
Fan Size 120mm
Bearing Type Hydraulic
RPM 2350 RPM
Air Flow 62.74 CFM
Noise Level 35 dBA
Static Pressure 3.1

To my surprise, the fans that come with the radiator blow the Noc and Corsair fans out of the water. I was told the Noc and Corsair were the best around, but the stock fans that come with the radiator rivals them in noise level (with the noc coming out only 8dB lower than the fastest the stock fans can run while holding a stead 30dB sound volume and blowing hte Corsair out with a lower sound volume of 5dB AND destroying it in terms of airflow) and kills with CFM and static pressure rating.

Now my issue is, am I overlooking something? Are there of features that the non-stock fans have that are worth considering (besides the noc's being quiet. I don't mind a little hum coming from my rig)? Or is this exactly the case and I'm just weird? :p

My haven't-looked-at-buying-new-fans-in-years input: 110 CFM at 30 dBa smells, and that's if you ignore the ludicrous static pressure number.

Smells like....eww. don't believe everything you see. Some stats are dubious at best. It's better to look at actual reviews of said fans. ;)

Also note, the q6600 is not choking the midrange 270... Unless perhaps you play at less than 1680x1050 or so which relies more on cpu speed.

First, 8db is huge. A 10db increase is roughly twice as loud.

Second, paper specs are almost always a lie. There is a reason they don't tell you how far away they measured the sound from. A freight train is only 30db if you get far enough away from it.

You will want to find tests done by a third party, martinsliquidlab has some, where they measure airflow through a radiator, and measure sound equally to get comparable numbers.

That all in one unit, as tested by one of our members, is not a very good liquid cooler. Much worse performance than similar 240mm liquid coolers.

Corsair H100i, Cooler Master Glacer 240L, and Cooler Master Eisberg 240L Prestige are much better units.

Last edited:
Alright, that's good to hear. I'm glad that I wasn't just crazy and that something didn't add up. I've heard really good things about the Corsair H100i, so I'll definitely check that out as it's cheaper than my pick as well. I'll look into different fans, something along the lines of more realistic results. :p

Also, the Q6600 is a horrible bottleneck from what I can tell. Games like BF3,4 and some other contenders (with them all being CPU hungry I suppose) hardly get in the double digits which is insane for an R9 270x at 1440x900 resolution. It's definitely something I'm going to have to upgrade and soon.

1440x900 is less than 1680x1050 and is, for the most part a cpu bound res. You raise the res and take some of the load off the cpu, things would change a bit. ;)

If you plan on getting a 9590 make sure you get a top end motherboard such as an Asus Sabertooth to put it on.

1440x900 is less than 1680x1050 and is, for the most part a cpu bound res. You raise the res and take some of the load off the cpu, things would change a bit. ;)

I don't even think I understand what you mean. How does raising the resolution decrease CPU load? Wouldn't that just increase the overall load on my desktop as a whole? And how would raising the resolution increase my frames from 8-10 up to playable frames (or the reported frames that a r9 270x should be getting with this game with a higher end CPU)?

Questions! XD

If you plan on getting a 9590 make sure you get a top end motherboard such as an Asus Sabertooth to put it on.

I actually am planning on getting a good MB. I already have a list of upgrades I'm gonna get when the cash comes in.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157479

Those are all using a DDR3 format, meaning they've got more than an upperhand over my dated Q6600. Even if that were the case, my monitor only goes up to 1440x900. I wouldn't have any way to test that.

DDR3 is not the difference, friend. Not asking you to test. Just leading the horse to water. ;)

Regardless, you are stuck since you can't push your cpu.. have you started a thread here for help? Depending on cooling and other factors, that flu should be good to 3.4ghz or so...in which you should see some nice fps gains.

But, this is talk for another thread. ;)

I understand. xD My hardware is severly outdated and quite old. At this point, it could be anything to be honestly. lol

And I've tried going past 3gigs, but my MB and cooler just can't support the extra temps when I have to up the voltage in order to obtain stability. I wouldn't mind trying again sometime this weekend, so I'll give that a shot. :3

I love how you can tell when ED is on his phone because fire hoses are firehouses and cpu's are the flu.

Anyway. That chart was just showing a 10fps(~11%) gap between a 3.0 Athlon that has virtually identical performance to your cpu and a 4960x, which will walk all over an 8350. So don't expect a huge boost in gaming performance going from your q6600 to an 8350.

I understand. xD My hardware is severly outdated and quite old. At this point, it could be anything to be honestly. lol

And I've tried going past 3gigs, but my MB and cooler just can't support the extra temps when I have to up the voltage in order to obtain stability. I wouldn't mind trying again sometime this weekend, so I'll give that a shot. :3
Again, start a thread in the appropriate section, listing your hardware (create a Sig!!!), Nd let's see what we can do to help.

+1 to you ST.. stupid auto correct! :attn:

I actually am planning on getting a good MB. I already have a list of upgrades I'm gonna get when the cash comes in.
The 9590 is NOT on the Cpu support list! The Asrock 990 Fx Killer is a good board but not good enough for the 9590. The only board Asrock still makes, that they say is compatible is the 990FX Extreme9. It is doubtful it will run a Fx 9590 even at stock settings! Do yourself a favor and get a Sabertooth.

The 9590 is NOT on the Cpu support list! The Asrock 990 Fx Killer is a good board but not good enough for the 9590. The only board Asrock still makes, that they say is compatible is the 990FX Extreme9. It is doubtful it will run a Fx 9590 even at stock settings! Do yourself a favor and get a Sabertooth.

No kidding!? I was told this was topline. That's what I get for not researching. I saw it supported the 8350 and just assumed it supported the 9 series as well. Well damn. I'll check out the Sabertooth boards then. Maybe I'll find something to my liking. xD I'm glad I did decide to join.

No kidding!? I was told this was topline. That's what I get for not researching. I saw it supported the 8350 and just assumed it supported the 9 series as well. Well damn. I'll check out the Sabertooth boards then. Maybe I'll find something to my liking. xD I'm glad I did decide to join.

The 9590 appears to be nothing more than a cherry-picked FX 8350.

So, if it's not good enough for a 9590, then I doubt you can get an 8350 to 4.7 on that board.

No kidding!? I was told this was topline.
It's possible whomever told you it was top of the line either said the "Asrock 990FX Fatil1ty" or didn't realize the Asrock 990fx Fatil1ty Killer is a new board they came out with in the last year or so. The AsRock 990Fx Fatil1ty "Professional" is or was the top of the line board, but no longer in production. It is a great board and will most likely be able to handle the 9590 without issue. The AsRock 990 Fx Fatal1ty Killer is not equal to the Professional, the Extreme 9 is. Additionally, we have had a few Fatil1ty "Killers" come through here, it's a good board but not good enough to really push these Fx 8 and 9 series chips to the extremes, ie 4.5-4.6+. No reason to re invent the wheel here, we know that the Sabertooth works and is good enough to push the 8/9 series Fx's.

Then I'll definitely be overlooking that board in favor for the sabertooth. I'll do a bit more research in order to find out what else I might have to change and post a thread on my selection. Maybe I can avoid something else like this down the line.

Back