• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

STOP error when installing devices

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

westhoops04

Registered
When I try to install XP on my friends compter, I always get a STOP screen that says "Plug and Play detected an error most likley case by a faulty driver" when its installing the devices. wha tis this, and how can i get around it. Thanks for you help.

Gandalf

Try to have everything unplugged when you run the installer.

Then plug it all in when the OS is actually running. It should automatically detect the new plug and play devices.

carmello22

is it an old computer? i tried putting xp on an old rig once and had the same problem. it turned out that the video card wouldn't work w/ an nt base os. changed the video card out and it work.

kagee108

I learned way back in WIN 98 that it is best to "layer" your install. That is, pull out all but the vid card, install OS, then add hardware one at a time. You have far fewer device conflicts and you find out immediately what device is creating problems.

What do they call this stuff? Plug and Pray?
':p