• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

STOP RMAing STUFF YOU BREAK!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OC-NightHawk said:
I should point out that its a yin yang sort of thing. My Asus CD-RW craps out on me the day after the warenty expires for no apparent reason. Then my Maxtor 120GB Hard drive starts having the motor stopping and going 13 months after I bought it. I'm starting to notice a pattern here. Every thing breaks when the warenty ends. Why don't they just start calling the warenty for what it is; the hardwares expected lifespan. If I have to take bending over every now and then I have no problem turning the tables, buying a new one swapping the contents and returning the package.

I agree that if I was responsible for the items destruction I wouldn't pull a fast one as a matter of honor. But when it just dies through the course of normal operation .... well ..... :mad:

Western digital have a lifetime warrantee, I Thought maxtor had the same ?

western digital do not have an lifetime warrenty, the one i was using broke 11 months after i got it, the warrenty expired at 12 months

No hard drive that I'm aware of carries a warranty over 5 years.

I'm not trying to change people . . . People can only change themselves. But I'd wager that there are a number of people out there that don't know it's wrong. As my psychology teacher said, "never underestimate the number of stupid people out there." I don't mean to call anyone stupid, but it illustrates my point . . . For those few that don't know it's wrong that happen to read the article, bueno.

Z

I've never broken anything yet, and with the exception of an 80GB IBM DeskStar HDD, have never had a component die while under warranty.

zachj said:
Well I can only assume it's their fault based on the fact that they issued a BIOS release to fix said problem.
This type of opinion is one of the reasons there's even problems to discuss!!! What company wants to deal honestly with someone if that is considered an indication of guilt? There are so many times that someone suffers simply because they're more honest than the average person! If there was no such thing as lying but mistakes still existed, a person(company) could simply come up with a full/partial refund system based on what the person did and how much they screwed up. People cheat the system and big companies, as a general rule, like to mess with people. that's the main problem with just about every monetary purchase out there. What a product's worth and fair treatment have little bearing. If I go to an independent source, I might be able to get a $3000 computer that's worth $10000 retail simply because the businessman decides he wants to respect the customer instead of taking advantage of him.

Secular humanism at its basic level is what people are dealing with. Morality is no longer taught and hasn't been for a long time.

1) What do you think of the information presented in the article, is it right or wrong from your perspective... or do you have another opinion ?
It has a point. People who do crazy mods or fail their softmods and then RMA are costing retailers and manufacturers money, which in turn drives prices up for the honest consumers.

2) Do you consider RMA'ing products which people have damaged acceptable ?
NO

3) Have you ever RMA'd a product which you have damaged?.. Is it somthing that you would do again, upon reflection?
No

4) Do you believe that the situation regarding bogus RMA's now effects users with legitimate RMA's... Have you experience this yourself ?
Yes it's really hard to tell who really got a defective product and who broke it themselves. It's rare for a retailer with good customer service to deny a genuine RMA though.

In my opinion, people need to start taking responsibility for their actions. Too many people expect other people to be responsible when they screw up and this is entirely stupid.

Companies should not be footing the bill because people wreck their hardware. RMAing stuff you have broken promotes dishonesty and degrades consumer integrity.

In short, don't RMA stuff if you're responsible for its condition. Take responsibility for your own actions!

What do you mean by that LMFRY? The trouble with posting things online is that your meaning is not implied. Please try to be more specific when you post . . .

If you're asking "what fun is it to take responsibility for your own actions," I'm sure you already know the answer to that and making such comments isn't going to go over very well, even if made in jest.

Otherwise, I don't take your meaning.

Z

Agree 100% ... you break it you buy it!

Mechanical parts are a bit different than electronics.
Back when I ran an engine machine shop there were always those guys
who would try to return broken parts when it was obvious they flubbed
the install.
All comes down to the person's morals. I say take responsability for your actions. :p

Back