• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

strange behavior while running p95

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bob4933

Quick notes ->

Installed new AIO cooler, ran IBT, hit ~70-74c (depended on the core). Pretty decent.

Running p95, ramped up, temps got to around 72, but then plummeted [after around 8 minutes] (I heard the fans shift down) to 56-60c very quickly.

Checked everything, clock speed (4199 Mhz all around), cpu ultilization (100%, all 8 threads), no p95 tests failed (its still running as I type this, temps rose to 66c with chrome open as well). Using 107w package power, 101w core power. Voltage, ram, everything is FINE. There is NO throttling going on.

Test is going on 30 minutes here, no issues at all. Could the TIM have "Settled" or something silly? I sincerely dont understand a sudden 15-20c drop in temps.

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Latest version of p95? AVX instruction set I'd imagine? I'd guess it drops at the same time if you restart the test...which would also be when after a switch in fft lengths.

OP
B

bob4933

Latest version of p95? AVX instruction set I'd imagine? I'd guess it drops at the same time if you restart the test...which would also be when after a switch in fft lengths.

This was my thought as well, but no, it just suddenly dropped and much ado about nothing afterwards. Went through another 15 minutes of testing (completed another full test), temps stayed low o_O

Which P95 test?

Blend

OP
B

bob4933

Normal behavior, blend will fluctuate CPU loading.

I don't recall seeing a temp change that drastic, but I haven't played around with the 4790k much. It STARTED at high temps (70+), but after about 10 minutes, they dropped to <60c and stayed there for another 30-40 minutes. Thats "normal"? CPU loading was 100% the entire time though.

Lochekey

Senior Pink Member
allright, gimme a few minutes.

- - - Updated - - -

WOW. gonna reapply TIM, that aint right haha. Temps shot to 86-88c almost immediately!

Those temps do not surprise me. Small FFTs can be harder than IBT especially the newer versions of p95.

OP
B

bob4933

haha, yeah i messed something up applying the TIM. Small FFT running as we speak, temps are at 68-70, not 86+. Initial spike to 78, but dropped as fan speed rose.

The first and only time I screw TIM application is using the lovely "line method". Never gonna do THAT again -.-

- - - Updated - - -

Which AIO did you get?

Its called a Lepa Aquachanger 240, its a rebranded version of the enermax liqtech 240, which has many favorable reviews.

OP
B

bob4933

Ok, that was my issue for sure. temps are pretty decent now. Thanks for the small fft suggestion, that definitely point me in the right direction. Gonna let the AS5 "burn in" and report back after a couple days.

OP
B

bob4933

No just post back here thanks.

Results seem promising.

P95 small fft, 4790k stock settings, stock voltage. Ran test for 30 minutes

Core 0 avg temp - 61
Core 1 avg temp - 63
Core 2 avg temp - 65 (darn)
Core 3 avg temp - 58
Package - 64 (didnt move off 64)

EDIT:

4.7ghz @ 1.3v is the absolute limit on mine. Granted Im just in "push" (no room for push pull :( ), so i imagine that would get temps down a bit.

Core 0 82
Core 1 87
Core 2 89
Core 3 82
Package 89

Last edited: