• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Strange BSOD problem...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Spanko

Ok first off, im no newbie and this thing has got me stumped. Every once and in a while after i reboot my computer i get a bsod similar to this

"If this is the first tine you’ve seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to he sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the Stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode. "

The rest of the bsod i cannot tell you, because it goes by too fast and my comp reboots, everytime it boots up seconds after getting into windows it bsods exactly the same. The solution? Well i found that if i reset my csmos, the problem goes away, at least for a while. It does it randomly when i reboot... i use the same bios settings every time. It cant be my motherboard because i swapped it out, it cant be my hard drive because i swapped it out too, i even tried a different hard drive/ata controller. I am not overclocked and i can run prime95 till the cows come home, but sure enough i still get this BSOD randomly after a reboot. I only figured out that part of the message by searching google, i cant even read the message because my computer reboots right afterwards... If i boot into safemode with netowrking everything works fine..

I have a XP2100, a7n8x deluxe, chaintech gf4 ti4600, 2x256mb 3200llpt corsair and a wd360 raptor. I cant format because i cant back up my stuff, because i had to rma a cdrw, and i have no other hard drives... so i have to find a way to fix this and get around it. Sometimes after the bsod, and a csmos clearing checkdisk runs and finds some broken/corrupted files, but not everytime.. Anyhelp with this would be great.

i have no idea, but i knows its nothing ive never installed before without problem.

still trying to figure this one out... what i dont get is how restting cmos fixies the problem temporarily..

Is it doing a memory dump during this BSOD? If so check the Minidump files.

Is it doing a memory dump? there is a tool to open them up but cant remember what the name of it is. Maybe another member can help out with that?

also, if this matters at all, my icons have been doing very strange things lately, moving around all over the place, and chagning o_O

For instance having a norton systemworks icon for my half life shortcut, and having a winamp icon for my daoc shortcut o_O

I scanned for viruses using http://housecall.antivirus.com and found nothing..

I need to ask what happened to the cdrw that got rma'd. I am thinking this is a hardware problem to which I believe after talking with a friend that its either the HDD or the Mobo. I would first flash to the most recent bios if you havent already. The biggest concern is about the cdrw did the cdrw die completely or was it acting funny? As soon as possible ,I would reload your OS to which I would assume it is Windows XP. It would be hard to test but with either a different hdd of the same type(sata preferably a 10000 raptor like u have if my googling was correct). Or a mobo of the same type but either way you will need to reload as your hdd seems to be very corrupt at the moment. Thats about as far as I have been able to get my mind to do as it is very late.

the cdrw was a cyberdrive cw088d, and it never gave me a good cd, only lots of coasters, i had that problem on 3 different mobos, the raptor is new, and truth be told i didnt have the problem before using it, im think a format will fix it, but i dont have another hard drive to swap and try. I just ordered a 40gb WD400BB on sale from newegg, so i should get some answer when i get it, i just cant turn off my computer till then =/

I would be very surprised if my raptor is borked, but it has a 5 year warranty so im not all that worried. I think something just got messed up OS wise... at least i hope thats it. I cant reload the os, until i can back my stuff up, which is when i get the new hard drive, ill just copy the stuff i need over. and format the raptor and see what happens.

Back