• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Strange computer problem after lightning

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

am8soccer

So a while ago lightning went through my cable line and fried my router, cable modem, and onboard nic. I figured something else could be wrong but i never got around to figuring it out.

Anyways, now the computer is acting really strange. When its on, it works perfectly fine and there doesnt seem to be a problem. However, when i restart, there is a good chance that it wont start back up again. The power seems to work and all the fans and drives start up, but nothing is displayed on the monitor. To fix this problem i have simply avoided it. My computer seems to turn back on after restarting it a bunch of times and sometimes after waiting a bit and then restarting...i have no clue why.

Now its really bothering me so maybe ill get around to testing it...

But does anyone have any idea what it may be before i go buying parts. I probably can borrow a spare gfx card to test if its that, but could i also need a new psu or maybe motherboard?

Your switch might have broken. Remove the switch and short the wires and see if it turns on. If it does then get a new switch buuuuttt........

Lightening could have damaged anything in your computer. I would start by removing all unnecessary hardware from your system and booting the computer w/ only
Hard Drive
Memory Stick
Video Card
If you system works fine then it was one of the items you removed. If it still is acting funny then you need to try a new hard drive, memory, vid card, board, psu.. etc.....

Pretty much you need to crack open the old computer repair book and start w/ basic troubleshooting.

Does it still run fine? Like if you game, everything still at the same settings it used to? Just the fact that it turns on seems pretty lucky.

yep it runs perfectly fine when its on...it just has trouble turning on sometimes. i encode dvds all the time and they go just as fast, and i get the same framerates in my games.

Could be anything.

I have a question: how old is the system?
One of the most prudent things to do might be to backup any important data regularly and begin saving/planning for a new machine. Of course, if it is pretty new already, that would really suck, but... you may not be able to find the source of the problem or it might end up being damage that can't be repaired.

As for what would be damaged- I personally would look at ram and mobo most closely. CPU seems ok and it strikes me as unlikely that a surge would damage it in such a fashion.
MEMTEST might show problems with the ram.

Look for swelling capacitors too- they can cause weird problems when they are on the way out.

alright ill memtest it in a bit, i actually got it back on and need to use it for a bit haha.

anyways, specs are:
p4c800-e deluxe
2.4c
2x256 ocz plats bh5 (originals)
fortron 400w psu
2x160gb hitachi sata raid 0
1 maxtor 250gb ata

Back