• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Strap PSU to back of motherboard tray?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

I'd like to improve the case ventilation for the video card in my Thermaltake Armor Revo VO2000. The PSU is installed in the floor of the case directly underneath the videocard. The case has a filtered vent from the HDD cage that extends all the way to the back of the case. My idea is to cut a hole in the sidecover over the motherboard tray (on the opposite side from where the motherboard is mounted) that has the dimensions of a standard ATX PSU, use zipties to mount the PSU unit there then route the cabling trunk through a grommet also cut in the sidepanel. This will result in the PSU sticking out from the side of the case but it'll allow the videocard to get much cooler air. I'd add fan filters and shrouds to the PSU so it's not sucking in dust.

I've also thought of using this:
https://www.grainger.com/product/HOFFMAN-Fan-Bracket-32FL14
To attach the PSU to the back of the motherboard tray.

Any thoughts?

I don't see a point at all. The power supply isn't adding warm air to the chassis. It's taking it in and spitting it out the back. That said, the amount of space you uncover won't be much either. Just seems like a waste of time that won't yield worthwhile results and look bad doing so.

I don't see a point at all. The power supply isn't adding warm air to the chassis. It's taking it in and spitting it out the back. That said, the amount of space you uncover won't be much either. Just seems like a waste of time that won't yield worthwhile results and look bad doing so.

The PSU is blocking 163mm of filtered vent access -- that's half of the total vent area in the bottom of the case.

It's not going to make much of a difference.. I wouldnt hack my case up for it.

If you do, post up some pics and the results.

I would discourage you from zip tieing your PSU to the case for the simple lack of a chassis ground. If you were to do that I would at a minimum screw a grounding cable from the PSU case to the PC chassis.

Ideally, just buy a larger case or install this on your side panel, that's what it's made for.

I've already given up on this idea -- because if I did this mod there would be no way to put the case on its side anymore. I guess what I really need is a new case.

@Blaylock I already mounted a silverstone AP-182 to the sidecover as an intake. I thought it work better as an exhaust, which it did, for the CPU temps, but not for the GPU temps.

Back