• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stream media over internet

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cheator

Hey guys.

I had heard of a program that would allow me to watch my videos at home from afar using flash. Has anyone heard of it?

Basically what I want is a daemon or web tool that will allow me to login and encode my movies into flash on the fly, so that I can access my media center from afar and watch stuff while I'm away from home. Anyone know of anything that can do this with Ubuntu?

Automiketic

not sure if orb works with unbuntu but i have been using on my WHS for several months without a hitch. does music and video. ORB.com

Shelnutt2

Overclockers Team Content Editor
Because the flash playback is terrible and buggy, unfortunately. I love VLC but it needs a bit of work in this aspect.

I was thinking more along the lines of you can have it stream to the web and then from anywhere all you have to do is open up vlc on your end and point the stream to your ip address. (Or setup a no-ip.org or dydns.org account)

Stratus_ss

Overclockix Snake Charming Senior, Alt OS Content
I beleive SlingBox will do exactly what you want though I am not sure if there is a FOSS version or not

EDIT: apparently you have to have hardware for that. I had only heard of people talking about it

{PMS}fishy

Hey guys.

I had heard of a program that would allow me to watch my videos at home from afar using flash. Has anyone heard of it?

Basically what I want is a daemon or web tool that will allow me to login and encode my movies into flash on the fly, so that I can access my media center from afar and watch stuff while I'm away from home. Anyone know of anything that can do this with Ubuntu?

A. Is your media center mythtv?
B. If yes skip to D, if no go to C.
C. Why isn't it mythtv?
D. Mythtv can transcode to flv and play over http.

OP
Cheator

Cheator

A. Is your media center mythtv?
B. If yes skip to D, if no go to C.
C. Why isn't it mythtv?
D. Mythtv can transcode to flv and play over http.

A. No, I just tore down media center.

C. Because I don't find MythTV that good.

Thanks for the suggestions. Orb doesn't have a linux client yet it seems... I'm not sure what other alternatives there are.

{PMS}fishy

ffmpeg is what myth uses to do the transcode. A couple of quick scripts and you could use that.