• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stripe Size with 2 raptors.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lejend

Ok, do I have this right? I plan on buying 2 36gig raptors and running raid-0. The smaller the stripe size is, the faster your drives perform, but the more wasted space you have? I mostly use my comp for gaming, and I haven't even come close to filling up my 60 gig maxtor, so I was thinking I'd use a 4k stripe size for max speed? Is there something I'm overlooking here?

im pretty sure the very small stripe sizes improve benchmarks only, while the largest stripe size wastes space. think of it this way, if you have a 128K stripe, anything under 128K will not be put on both drives. people have told me in the past the best way to go is somewhere in the middle, for instance 64K or 32K stripe size. not many files are under this size, and when your loading maps for games, your talking big pk3 files, usually...not tiny files.

Since im going to build raid next week myself, i was also looking for an answer on that.

So gustav, since i want the best performance in games loading (the pk3 you mentioned...and .bin etc.), is 32/64k the way to go?

im not sure myself, i was told to go to http://storagereview.com/ and read up on it, i did and it said the best stripe size for an average user is 64K. when i wanted help with it, people recommended everything from 4K to 64K. i guess wait for the storage gurus to come in....

Back