• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Strix 980 Ti watercooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kenrou

Want to change the default cooler (the noise drives me insane above 60% fans) and i was wondering if i can get away with anything short of a custom loop, for example ARCTIC Accelero Hybrid III-140 or ARCTIC Accelero Xtreme III. I know they are compatible and very good according to reviews but how would they be in terms of overclocking since they rate max 300w ? I'm going for silence more than anything, so if i cant overclock past what i have now, not fussed.

https://www.arctic.ac/uk_en/accelero-hybrid-iii-140.html

https://www.arctic.ac/uk_en/accelero-xtreme-iii.html

Custom BIOS :

Afterburner.jpg

EarthDog

Gulper Nozzle Co-Owner
Why do you need to go above 60% for gaming?

I don't think you are heat limited in your overclock in the first place are you? If not, if that is a major driving factor, it isn't there honestly. If you want to push your overclock, go water and modify the bios. You should modify it anyway. 3% over 100% is nothing and you will hit the limit and throttle quickly...

... though I vaguely remember talking about this in another thread and your card's weird throttling?????????

JrClocker

AKA: JrMiyagi
^ Agree with this one.

My next modification to my system will be this route.

The basic idea...if you are going to take the time to take off the stock cooler, go with a full waterblock...more straight forward in my opinion.

OP
Kenrou

Kenrou

Why do you need to go above 60% for gaming?

I don't think you are heat limited in your overclock in the first place are you? If not, if that is a major driving factor, it isn't there honestly. If you want to push your overclock, go water and modify the bios. You should modify it anyway. 3% over 100% is nothing and you will hit the limit and throttle quickly...

... though I vaguely remember talking about this in another thread and your card's weird throttling?????????

It needs to go above 60% because at 60% it hits 75c+ fairly fast when i'm playing ME3 with SGSSAA, or use any resolution above 1080p (DSR) which in turn causes downclocking as i explained in the thread u remember so vaguely and agreed with me (of sorts).

Doesn't matter the percentage you see on the bar, she hasn't passed 75% power limit so far :)

View attachment MOD.zip

Like i said if i can't overclock it's all good, i'll keep it on stock, it's really the fan noise that gets to my nerves. So the others i linked aren't decent ? Not really in a mood to spend 160 pounds for a GPU cooler...

Or maybe go the frankenstein route and remove the shroud and replace the fans for 2 good silent noctua ?

Last edited:
OP
Kenrou

Kenrou

Had no idea the Strix was so noisy before i got it :( reminds me of my old MSI 660 Ti, sounds like a jet engine when the fans go above 70% :(

Johan45

Benching Team Leader Super Moderator
Maybe you've got a bad fan. I've always found the ASUS DCII/Strix cooling pretty quiet except for my 580s

OP
Kenrou

Kenrou

Possibly or i just have a different concept of noisy as i've been told, everything above ~30db (my Noctua running 100%) is too loud for me tbh :(

ATMINSIDE

Sim Racing Aficionado Co-Owner
In that case you need an over-radded custom loop with good PWM fans.

done12many2

This is why I went to the EVGA 980 Ti hybrid when I upgraded from dual 970s...:D

I did the same. I've got two of them in SLI and in stock form, they work pretty well.

I still ended up going with a custom loop with EK water blocks on the 980 Ti Hybrids and my CPU. The Hybrid coolers are great, but in order to cool the VRM, it still uses the stock reference style fan on the PCB for cooling the memory and VRM. Under normal use, it's perfectly fine because there is not much need to even run the fan on the PCB, but when I overclocked I was not a fan of that fan.:clap:

The full water blocks from EK cover the GPU, memory and VRM.

JrClocker

AKA: JrMiyagi
Compared to 2 970s? Silent bliss!

The fan is pretty quiet...the only noise you can hear is air flow...and that's pretty quiet.

I am a fan noise freak...so quiet for me is pretty quiet! :D