• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Studio XPS 1340 w/ Win 7 86 bit--no way no how can I get this to connect to a pr

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

drdoug26

Hi all,

I’ve got a new Dell Studio XPS 1340 laptop running Win 7 64bit with an Intel processor (P7450) @ 2.13 Ghz with 3 GB or RAM.

No matter what I do or try, it fails to find drivers for any of the printers of mine—Hp Laserjet 1200, Laserjet 1300, and a Brother ???.

I’ve tried downloading drivers from HP (both the Win 7 and Win Vista [the universal ones are the only ones available]), as wells as running Windows Update, which did find them and download them onto my machine… but to no avail. I did wipe all the dell crap off the hard drive (via debug then run the Windows 7 disk) and did a fresh re-install—all the dirvers loaded just fine.

I’ve also tried hooking the LaserJet 1200 directly to the USB port on the laptop… but still no go.

More specifically, for example, when I try and “add a printer” from devices and printer menu, it properly searches for and finds the printer that is shared on a windows server. But when I hit the “next” button, it fails to “connect” and gives this message: “No Driver Found. Windows can’t find a driver for HP LaserJet 1200 Series PCL on the network.” [A similar message appears when the machine is connected directly to the printer.] Next I continue with the locate one manually option and click OK. When I click “OK”I get a chance to browse and copy files from, which I’ve tried many times with the drivers that I’ve download from HP, which are suppose to be for my printer and universally for XP, Vista, and Win 7 64 bit. None of them take and are rejected by windows.

I called Dell, whose tech support team has certainly gone to hell over the years, and they say they can’t help because it’s a driver problem with Win 7 vs. all my printers and not their hardware. I’ve got the option to pay $75.00, for more help with my brand spanking new lap top, but that BS.

So, unless someone’s got an idea to try, it’s going back to Dell on Monday and I’ll buy something else from someone else (sorry for the rant).

Anyways, I’d be very grateful for some help and thanks so much in advance.

Dr. Doug.

If the printers are on a different machine on the network, try installing the Win7 drivers on that machine (I think there's a dialog for that in the printer properties, "additional drivers" or something).

Dr Doug,

Your getting that message because the system the printer is connected to on the network does not have the driver version you need loaded.

On XP, you can go to printers and faxes>File in the top left>Server Properties>Drivers tab, then click on the add driver button. You'll notice in the list it lists the driver name, the environment, as well as the version of windows its for. You'll want to ensure you get the universal driver loaded on the PC the printer is connected to.

The necessary steps may be different on vista or win7, but the idea is the same.

If that doesn't work, it'd probably be best to look at getting it workin via USB first. What was the problem you encountered when connected via USB and trying to load the universal printer driver?

Last edited:
What was the problem you encountered when connected via USB and trying to load the universal printer driver?

Exactly the same. It fails to fine any drivers then gives me the option to direct it, which I do to the ones I downloaded from HP. Still says they aren't the right ones.

Did you try what I recommended above?

If that doesn't work, setup logmein and send me a PM. We can make arrangements and I bet I could figure it out.

Back