• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Stupid case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

funnyperson1

i finally figured out why my temps are so high....my power supply is right nest to the cpu fan....

i was thinking of cutting a hole in the psu case...your opinion?

edit: left out some important details....

Last edited:
what i was thinking is to cut a hole right where the heatsink fan is and have the fan suck and not blow so the exhaust gets shot into the psu...that exhaust is pushed out by the first PSU fan and pulled out by the second...

that could work... i still agree with the idea of moving the power supply or getting a new case, it's probably not the best idea or the safest to cut into the psu.

Revx said:
that could work... i still agree with the idea of moving the power supply or getting a new case, it's probably not the best idea or the safest to cut into the psu.

well buying a new case is out of the question...i have no money and ive invested too much dremel time already....

about moving the PSU...hmm...ill see if i can find a plsce to moe it to....my case is kinda small :(:eh?:

just put that thing outside/on top of your case and decorate it or something. mount it somehow. and you're set. then you'll have a nice big hole in your case to put fans/filters and whatnot.

My InWin A500 mid-tower was just like that. PSU directly across from the fan, and the heatsink fan and PSU fan would 'fight' each other because the ariflow was in opposite directions. (HSF toward heatsink, PSU away from heatsink.)

Well, there were some small vent holes on the topp of the back of the case. 2 40mm fans fit in the space perfectly, so I cut the existing vent holes out with a dremel so the fans would have unimpeded airflow, and then I siliconed the two fans in place. It dropped my case temps by 4~5C. Before that the only exhaust was the PSU, and it obviously helped a lot.

Doesn't your power supply have an exhaust fan? Usually this fan helps extract heat from the CPU in addition to its own heat.

MadMan007 said:
My InWin A500 mid-tower was just like that. PSU directly across from the fan, and the heatsink fan and PSU fan would 'fight' each other because the ariflow was in opposite directions. (HSF toward heatsink, PSU away from heatsink.)

Well, there were some small vent holes on the topp of the back of the case. 2 40mm fans fit in the space perfectly, so I cut the existing vent holes out with a dremel so the fans would have unimpeded airflow, and then I siliconed the two fans in place. It dropped my case temps by 4~5C. Before that the only exhaust was the PSU, and it obviously helped a lot.

i believe that is the case that i have....At least i know its an Inwin.... except i upgraded the PSU and the new one does not have vent holes in it....also i know the ventialtion is very good a i have two side fans 2 PSU exhaust fans and one intake fan in the front (my Sunon 120 blowhole died :()...and Ugmore yes my PSU does have 2 exhaust fans its just that it wasnt designed to sit on its side as it does in my case so my airflow is impeded to my cpu fan....

You can try experimenting:

If the top of your case thing can come off the top top.. take it sit your psu up there.. Then you can have exhaust where your previous PSU was..

Theres usually something holding it, which you were have to like hammer off or something.

okay i took your advice not to disect my PSU and i found a way to stick it on top of my cd drive....my temps are back down to what they used to be when the temp was 22C ambient and now the ambient temp is 27C so overall a 4-5C drop in temps thanks :)

WOOT!!! my temps are down to 36C full load at 1.47....thank you, i love you guys!!!

Last edited:
Back