• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

stupid setup question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OCn00b

I'm stupid when it comes to motherboards and setting them up, but when you purchase a board, do they come more or less ready to run, like just plug everything in and go or do they come with purely random setting on them? Also, depending on the answer to the first question, is there any place online that sells boards that are preconfigured so all ya have to do is pop in a cpu and it's ready to go? My history with setting up boards isn't very good, 0-2 by my count, so if I can get a preconfigured board that's still overclockable, that's the route I would prefer to take. Thanks for the info guys.

palee72

Are you looking for a processor/MB deal? Most places "say" they test and set up the board before they ship it, which means that it would have to be set up..

I've mostly pieced mine together..anymore.. most mobo's are quite easy to set up an require you only to set the FSB to your settings (factory 100mhz, set to 133mhz or whatever your flavor)

Also, just ask on here and I'm sure we can help you get it up and running..I've seen very few problems go unresolved on here (except maybe overclockergirl's car problem.... then again, it isn't a PC, so that doesn't count :) )

OP
OCn00b

OCn00b

Well, I've never had any problems understanding what I had to do to set up a board, but I guess theory is a long way from practice in some cases. Yes, I'd prefer a mobo/cpu combo if I can find one for a decent price, but I'm not sure which companies can be trusted and which ones cannot. I've posted about my problems I've had with the last board I tried to get working, but it's a dual intel setup so I posted in the SMP forum and was directed to the 2cpu forums. The other board was also an intel setup but that was like 2 years ago and I think I know the problem with that one. I want to stay with AMD and since I obviously have bad luck setting boards up I thoght it would be much easier to order one that's already setup with the cpu so all I have to do is screw it in, plug my stuff in and go. Since I'm cursed;) do you think I should still buy the board and cpu seperately and make another attempt?