• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

successful hard drive mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Intrepid

I've done it! I took an old 500MB drive and put a window on it. There was a screw sticking up above the rest of it tilting the glass up, but we improvised on the spot and it works with 0 bad sectors! now I might try it with my lil 6GB drive I have here :)

Crash893

"The man in black fled across the desert,
the higher the capasity the more likely a falure

Talon101

i wish that i could do that, but after reading an article, it was on this forum i dont remember where it was, about how fragile (slapping?) the hdd was i dont want to mess with it. but good job!! :)

Seal

yeah, i'd do it on a small hd because i wouldnt be too bothered if it breaks. I wouldnt do it on newer hd's though, the coveres are specially designed for certain things like to absorb shock and also absorb sound.

kooshball

better yet, do it on one that's already broken!!
i says a koo windows hd in my computer is better than a broken harddriev in my closet
:)

koosh

Albigger

crash893 said:
the higher the capasity the more likely a falure

why would this be true?

not that i would risk this mod on anything important/expensive, as the chances of killing your HDD are pretty high...

OP
Intrepid

Intrepid

the more data the smaller the data sectors on the drive surface. this means that a single piece of dust can do much more damage.

Tipycol

Just curious Intrepid6546, what kind of camera do you have? The pic looks really clear and sharp :cool:

Thanks

Tipycol

OP
Intrepid

Intrepid

well this didn't take balls, it was a 500MB drive. and the camera is a Sony CyberShot. it's my parents and it's really nice too. I have this junky POS that I never use.

Spec_Ops2087

wow....personally any HDD mod despite size is soooooooooooo sweeeeeeeeeeeeet....And when you get teh balls to do your primary ones and then put them in RAID....oooooooo how niiiiiiiice

Great job:D

Spec

Tipycol

Spec_Ops2087 said:
wow....personally any HDD mod despite size is soooooooooooo sweeeeeeeeeeeeet....And when you get teh balls to do your primary ones and then put them in RAID....oooooooo how niiiiiiiice

Great job:D

Spec

If he got that done, then he should start his own Plexi Harddrive Cover service ;)

OP
Intrepid

Intrepid

it's not plexi it's real glass, not cheep glass tho, so it wont break so easily but glass is easier to get and keep clean.

drunkmonkey

lol, i was gonna do it to an old 1gb drive.
I had just opened it in a pretty clean atmosphere. When it urned around to get the clear wrap to protect the hd, my lil bro runs in, sees the drive ans yells cool!! before i turn around again, he was spinng the platters with his fingers and broke the head. lol

Rabid Snail

Did you get back at him, or was he just too young and/or had too short of an attention span to hurt/be responsible for his actions?

...or was that a joke...I cant really tell.