• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Such thing as a RamDrive for *nix ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mirko_3

I know there is an option when compiling the kernel, but I've never tested it. In the kernel configuration, if you activate it, you have to select a size...

OP
DDR-PIII

DDR-PIII

Disabled
Hmm is there anyway that you can have it save what is on the ram drive to the HDD when you shut down, then reload what was on the ram drive back to the ramdrive when you boot up ??

moorcito

Have you tried reading the documentation about ramdisk, or possible searched through the HOWTOs at www.tldp.org for more info about what you can and can't do with it?

A ramdisk is treaded just like any other block device, so if you wanted to do what you described, you'd just at a couple of lines in the startup and shutdown scritps that would do all of the copying and pasting.

Last edited:
OP
DDR-PIII

DDR-PIII

Disabled
Cool, cuz I'm probably going to build a new system soon an amd xp 2200+ or something with 3Gb of ram so I figured if it was fairly stable that i would just keep everything on the ram "web site mysql php..." so there would be no wait other than the connection time.

Too Smart

But then if the computer loses power or something, all your data is gone. Maybe you could make it automatically backup the ramdrive to the harddrive every couple of minutes, but that wouldn't seem practical if there is a lot of data to backup.