• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sudden change in fan noise?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NV

Hey all,

I just had something very strange happen to me. I was in the middle of writing a post when the fan noise on my computer changed very suddenly for a few moments. My computer is already quite loud: I leave my push/pull ultra-kazes and GTX 260 fan on 100%, just because I can (and this way I don't really have to think about it :rolleyes: ).

So as I was typing this post the fan noise suddenly became noticeably louder and somewhat higher pitched. I asked someone sitting 5 feet away if they noticed it, and they had no clue what I was talking about, but it was a pretty obvious change to me. In an attempt to investigate further, I put my head near the case and moved it around. The noise definitely seemed to come from nearer to the front of the case, actually as far as I could tell it seemed to be coming from the disk drive. There was a disk in it, but the activity light was not on or flashing. Although it did NOT sound like disk drive noise (to my admittedly untrained, although rather familiar, ear) I hit the button to eject the disk. The noise subsided not long after that, and before the disk actually ejected. I again asked the person sitting nearby if they noticed the change, and this time they had.

I'd like to say again that it didn't sound like disk drive noise to me at all. Added with the lack of activity light and lack of my having been doing anything with the disk, I really don't think that was the source of the noise. But it's hard to ignore the coincidence of it stopping when I ejected the disk. To take one more stab at describing the noise, I would say it sounded a little bit more vacuum-cleaner like than fan-like.

Well that's probably enough senseless babbling out of me for now, does anyone have any idea what this might have been? I know what I've told you is pretty vague and probably not enough for you to have a good idea of what happened, but it only lasted for 20-30 seconds so I didn't have very long to gather information! Any ideas are helpful, I'm really stumped by what this could have been.

CompuTamer

Member with Some Fancy Text Under His Name
Is it like a screech, or a whine? One of the fans may have just revved up really high, or the CD drive may have a problems...

OP
N

NV

I wouldn't've called it either a screech or a whine, but closer to a whine. It sounded to me like one of the fans revving up really high, but none of my fans are on anything but maximum. I suppose that doesn't make it impossible, but it sounds very strange to me.

deed

I wouldn't've called it either a screech or a whine, but closer to a whine. It sounded to me like one of the fans revving up really high, but none of my fans are on anything but maximum. I suppose that doesn't make it impossible, but it sounds very strange to me.

Have you tried booting up once without a disk in the drive and once with the disk in the drive to see if the problem presists? I have the same issue on my computer and I removed all drivers, resat the dvd drive and screwed it back down. Not sure which of them fixed it but it worked.

Chixofnix

if it sounded like a high-pitched vacuum cleaner - I'd bet it's the disc drive. Shut down your PC, pull the power plug on that drive, boot everything up and see if you stop hearing that sound. Don't rely on the activity light to tell you anything.

If you think it might be a fan, you can tell pretty easily while everything is running. lightly press on the fan hub while it spins to slowly shortly stop it and immediatly let go again - you'll hear your computer's sound profile with that part eliminated in the process. In this way you can identify a particularly noisy fan and know which one needs to be downvolted and/or replaced.

SeanBest

On one of my 4870s the plastic film the put over the cooler started to peel one day and folded into the fan and started squealing. Took me like 3 hours to notice this tiny piece of clear plastic getting smacked by the fan a few thousand times a minute.