• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

sudden XP SLOWdown

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PLtNmHeLiX

I have no clue what happened. Was doing the usual last nite and shut down this morning I start up XP and whoa i can feel a big time slowdown. IE takes longer than usual to open, windows media player takes 5x the usual time to start playinga movie, and games won't even start loading when I run the exe. It's with service pack1. Any one got any suggestions other than formatting?:confused:

THunDA

hello...
Dont know for sure but I installed SP1 and noticed a big decrease in overall performance...a freind of mine had same problem and he tried the uninstall option and it didnt work too well some programs didnt work and stuff...I refomatted and did clean install of XP and didnt install SP1 just downloaded the hotfix updates from windows update and now the speed is back..Ive read in a few places that other ppl had same problem...
Hope this helps
THunDA

Disputant

I have seen a number of posts now from varied results of installing SP1. Some ppl have no problems other experience instability and laggy performance depending on the hardware.

I am holding out for a while before I run the patch, wish they hadn't bundled that Direct-x upgrade with it, that was dirty.

THunDA

ya I too read about ppl not having problems also but a friend and I had major slow downs with SP1...and yea that DX upgrade is sneaky..:)

subconcept

I notice a slow down when I open folders, other then that not too many slow downs.

On my c: the folders open instant like normal, but on another partition it stalls for a couple seconds and then opens. Talk about annoying.