• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Suddenly cannot drag and drop files and folders to another place

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

techiemon

I can drag files and folders, but then it brings up the circle with a line through it that indicates I cannot drop the file or folder where I want it. I have no idea what happened. I have been using Win 7 for a long time and have never had this problem. But now I am and at a very inconvenient time because my new PC is scheduled to be delivered soon and I need to move everything from current pc to new pc. What the heck happened. It has to do something with security, but I am not sure which settings are screwed up.

I have four choices my list.

Authenticated users
System
Administrators
Users

Users does not have full control or modify or write control, and I do not know why. Is that to prevent viruses from having access?

System and Admin have full control. And I am logged in I thought as an admin as I only have one access account actually when my system boots up.

What the heck happened?

Here is something new... I tried to update a program recently, the software is called Replay Media, when I downloaded the file it asked for admit permission to install it, which is odd, as that never happened before either. So I had to switch from my number user which is user, to Admin, reset the password and then it would install.. But I wonder if this problem occurred prior to me trying to install an upgrade on that software and I just didn't notice it. As I have not had to drag and drop files for a few days.

Any ideas?

EDIT: I can drag and drop from desktop to other folders and other drives but I cannot drag and drop to desktop from other drives. In addition I cannot drag and drop to messaging systems like whatsapp, i can drag, but circle with line through it forms, I cannot give the files to other people. If the file was already on the desktop then I can send it to other people, but if the file is in another folder or drive, I cannot. It won't allow it...

Further Edit: I can click copy in the menu, and then right mouse click on desktop and paste. But I cannot drag and drop to desktop for copy. WTF?! What is going on??

Last edited:
I rebooted and everything is back to normal, but I ran sfc, it did not find anything. BUT chkdsk is being denied. Said I don't have sufficient privliledges to do the scan.

What folder are you trying to put the files into?
Is this computer part of a domain?
Have you done a virus scan?
Perhaps create a new Administrator account?
Use above new account to demote your account to Standard User then promote it to Administrator?

I rebooted and everything is back to normal, but I ran sfc, it did not find anything. BUT chkdsk is being denied. Said I don't have sufficient privliledges to do the scan.

Did you right click on cmd prompt in the menu and choose "Run as administrator?" You have to do this even if you are the administrator.

Back