• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Suggest a big internet browser for tiny netbooks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aja

Could you please suggest a good internet browser for netbooks that will maximize screen real estate? I have an acer aspire one 3G with an 8.9" screen. Firefox is great, but seems a bit cluttered. I don't suppose it is possible to get something like opera mobile (for cellphones) to run on it? I want all the butons and bars to swoooosh away when I'm not looking :burn:

Here is the catch: I am running Ubuntu 9.10 and XP dual boot, so I would like suggestions for both operating systems please.

A bonus would be a browser that works well on other versions of linux too, like crunchbang, puppy and so on. Don't need to flash compatibility or anything like that necessarily, just text/picture viewing.

EDIT: I searched OCF but didn't find anything nice

Neuromancer

You can customize opera to be very slim and run kiosk mode to eliminate the "windows" bar (I assume Linux has that too it has been a while since I ran it though)

Screeny is not in kiosk mode BTW) also the new Opera sync lets you carry your bookmarks over between PCs s oa bookmark in one, should carry over to the other (with a login of course)

Attachments

• opera.jpg
    opera.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 149

johnz

Firefox can be trimmed down very small; at least as small as Opera.

TheGreySpectre

I'll throw my vote out there for opera as it takes very little space, also you have mouse gestures to help out while mode.

the bookmark syncing I believe should be really nice with netbooks as well.

Neuromancer

OH, just wanted to point out also in my screeny. You can go smaller still, but I consider this to be the the smallest functional setup.