• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Suggestions are needed ASAP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BUBBLE

I'm looking foward some help from anyone to configure a truested netowrk that connecting to the internet through ADSL connection. I've got a usb adsl modem a a m/c loaded with winxp and w2k sever and a 8 port switch. My requirmnet is to make a small netowrk and let htem to access the internet through the adsl connection. The main pc act as a server and let others access the internet through it and i'm hoping to use zone alarm as a firewall to prvent unauthorized access to my netowrk. So i'm looking foward to get some info how to configure that. So far the question that popup into my mind are as follows.
* can winxp use as the sever in this scenario?
* is it better to use static ip netowrk or dynamic ip? ( clients will be maxium 8) at the momnet only 4
* Through zone alarm is it better to choose ICS or throuhg the iwndows xp program to choose the ICS?
* Following is the way i'm deciding to make the netowrk

ADSL--->pc--->HUB or Switch--->clinets

P.S. I need help quickly cause i need to setup this on monday. :) :)

Know Nuttin

XP will work as a server for what you need it to do.

ICS will hand out IP's so it's up to you if you want to use static. Not necessary and doesn't really make much of a difference unless you're going to forward ports.

Zonealarm is fine, will do the job you want it to do.

Your setup is fine, i'm sure you realize you'll need to leave your XP machine on all the time if you want your other PC's to have access to the internet.

Personally, i'd say bring your modem back to your ISP and get an external one, then use a router. I'm not sure if this is an option for you but it's worth mentioning.

OP
BUBBLE

BUBBLE

Thanks for the replies guys. Well buying a internal one wil be not an option but I already fedup with this usb one cause connection is dropping frequently. But at the moment I can't say exactly cause this line is used by some other dpt for checking the fax machines. BTW no need abt switching on the machine cause this will be always on during the office hours. I'm looking foward to buy a rj45 connection adsl modem cause it is better with XP according to some expert in ISP. :)

OP
BUBBLE

BUBBLE

Ok guys I need advice or dare to say help again. ADSL line is very slow than I thought it's just like my dialup connection speed where I?m having in home (56kpbs) I'm not sure why but here are few things I can come up with, if there are any telecommunications expert guys pls give me your suggestions too.
My telephone line to ADSL is parrelly used by few other people in the FAX machine repair center where they used that line to check the fax line. Basically it's assigned to them that we parallel using to connect to the ADSL. So will that be a problem to the speed of the adsl connection? So far that's the only thing I?m thinking about. Tomorrow I'll fix a noise filter to that connection and see weather that will be fixed. But again when I check the ADSL connection through one of the online ads connection speed test it's mention it's connection to Internet as 56kbps where in the connection dialog box it shows 512kbps. Thsi makes me really confusing
:eek: