• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Suggestions for quiet 2.5in internal hard drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

beyondinfinity

Registered
I have a 450GB WD velociraptor but it's running out of space (use it for data only).
I want to replace it with a 2.5in 1 or 2 TB drive. Preferably quiet, since the velociraptor although not annoying, is kind of noisy.

From Seagate website it seems FireCuda line of drives might meet my needs (photo/video editing). But also maybe Barracuda.

Any thoughts on these drives? Or any other suggestions.

I'd love to get a 1TB SSD but those are still too expensive right now.

trents

Just get a 7200 rpm drive by Toshiba or HGST. The Fire Cuda drives are more hype than actual performance. Not much better performance than an ordinary 7200 rpm drive. Little faster booting maybe. Have your researched this?

OP
B

beyondinfinity

Registered
Just get a 7200 rpm drive by Toshiba or HGST. The Fire Cuda drives are more hype than actual performance. Not much better performance than an ordinary 7200 rpm drive. Little faster booting maybe. Have your researched this?

Yes I have researched a lot the past few days. Aside from looking at each drive acoustic specifications, which is really too much work to go through them all, I tried to find as much information from a site called SilentPC Review, but for some reason there are no current reviews on the site. There doesn't seem to be any equivalent information anymore as they used to provide, which is too bad.

Based on previous reviews, I based my decision to get a FireCuda drive on the fact Seagate drives seems to be slightly quieter than their Western Digital counterparts. The specs show one or two decibels lower for Seagate. Plus I'm kind of curious to know first hand how it performs, compared to the Velociraptor, and to my SSD.

I haven't really investigated Toshiba or other manufacturers.

In any case I'm sure the FireCuda will be much quieter than my current Velociraptor.

Last edited:

trents

Man alive, you must have keen ears! This issue is really important to you I gather. Velociraptors tend to be noisier than most other spinner hard drives but it's not something that really would bother me personally and 7200 rpm spinner drives all seem pretty quiet to me. Actually, I kind of like to hear a little rata tat tat from a hard drive. It doesn't seem objectionable to me. When I hear that I know it's working. But everyone is different.

If you really want them to be as quiet as possible you should also look into rubber cushion mounts. Some cases come with them and there may be some things like that available aftermarket. Also, lining the case panels with foam rubber can help. A sheet metal case can act like a sound board sometimes.

HankB

Man alive, you must have keen ears!

I can sympathize. I recently moved my home office and now sit with my feet about 2 feet from my home built NAS. It has two 3TB drives and made enough noise early in the morning that I logged in to see what was going on. I found that the locate program was updating it's index (indexing the file systems) as the off site backup (rsync) was finishing. The combination of both resulted in a lot of disk activity that was not 'close' and which resulted in a lot of head movement. I removed the locate package as I have no need for it on a NAS. That reduced the noise a bit. I also plan to relocate the NAS when I get around to taming the cable mess I have created. (I need some cable management!)

My point is, it made enough noise to get my attention and to do something about it. After working from home for years, I'm accustomed to silence and likely hyper-sensitive to noise. ;) When I do go into the office, I use the ear plugs I use to protect my hearing when motorcycling to maintain the necessary silence.

OP
B

beyondinfinity

Registered
So I received my Seagate FireCuda 1TB 2.5" hard drive and I cloned the data from my Velociraptor. Before cloning however, I ran a quick benchmark (see below) Man what a difference in noise level. The Seagate is sooooo much quieter, finally I have some peace. The Velociraptor was so annoying, I hated it. And check these out, the FireCuda matches the performance of the velociraptor. In some areas beats it by a small amount. So far it seems like a good choice.

Both tests, hard drives were connected to the 6GB/s SATA ports on P8Z77-V mobo.

2017-01-09 (6).png Untitled.png