• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Suggestions on Management of USB 3.1 Gen 1 cable

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

animalmom

Registered
Hi,

I am trying to make my cables neat and tidy, something I've always neglected before. I got a bag of zip ties and i'm determined to make it look somewhat nice front and back.

My case has a 20 pin USB 3.1 connector and its big and the wires are big and stiff and not bendy and it looks awful

Ugly Cable.jpg

I thought maybe I could get some sort of adapter and plug this into my Gen 2 adapter ten pin - would this work? I realize it wouldn't make my USB 10gb/s

Or any other ideas? WHen I try to bend down the wires it stresses the mobo and I don't want to break it. They just seem to have to stick out

There probably are usb 3.1 adapters available but, as you mentioned, you would only get USB 2.0 speeds and loose it's fast charging capabilities, basically everything that's great about USB 3.1. In my personal opinion it's not a good trade off, but it's your rig.

Thanks. I ended up bending the cable and sort of clamping the bend with a zip tie and putting it through the hole directly below the connector.

Back