• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Suggestions on possible fixes for my Radeon 8500...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PsycoPhreak

OK, here is the deal...

I mentioned in another thread that, My 8500 ( its a "built by ATI" retail 8500 w/64Mb 3.3ns mem...) seems to "pause" on the fill rate test on 3DMark....it also does this in *some* games...not all of them.

The pauses aren't long at all, split seconds to be exact...but they occur about 1 pause, every 2 seconds. This has definetly affected my score on 3DMark..( only get 9056 default benchmark...which for some reason always says at the end "the benchmark was not run at default settings" or something to that affect..go figure... ).

Now the system specs are as follows:

CPU: Intel P IV 1.6a @ 2.4, 1.45v core, ( yes...v-core BELOW stock! ) STOCK INTEL cooling, 37c idle - 47c full load - ROCK STABLE.
( can run CPU at 2.6 stock voltage, but motherboard Lacks appropriate AGP/PCI/memory devider settings and locks within
windows...MSI hopefully will be adding the appropriate settings to the bios seeing the chipset will allow them, no adjustment for AGP aperature size available, it is stuck at 55Mb according to SANDRA and 3DMark sys info...hopefully they will change this as well, as this *may* be my problem )
Motherboard: MSI 845E MAX2 BLR ( 6398E )
Antec PP - 403x 400 watt PSU ( soon to be 550 watt truepower )
Memory: 2x256Mb Crucial 2100 DDR ( fastest timing/clock allowed in bios, may be holding my OC back also... )
Onboard Lan controller enabled
Onboard Sound enabled
Onboard Primary & secondary IDE enabled...( primary holds CD-Burner & CD Reader, secondary holds ZIP Drive )
Onboard RAID enabled w/2 maxtor drives in stripe 0 w/16K cluster size ( Modified "lite" bios module to full featured bios...nice and fasssssssst...)
No shared IRQ's ( which amazed me, usually M$ windows has a way of screwing that up...)

Did I forget anything?..Ahh yes, I'm using the ATI 2.4 Catalyst drivers with newest ATI control panel...Clean install of windows XP Professional, all updates/patches applied to OS and system/Hardware drivers.

I have tried to OC the card, but that didn't help and the max the memory can go to is 305 with this driver ( I do remember being able to get it alot higher at one point, but, can't remember what it went to, and what drivers I was using at the time..and OCing the core isn't worth it...no significant gain... )...this does increase my score by 200 points, but it's not a significant gain and the "pauses" remain, thus I have returned the card to stock 275/275 settings and will be leaving it there. I know my less than optimal score is probably due to the "pauses" that the card seems to suffer from, it has done this with ALL driver versions I have tried, or weather the card/system was OC'ed or at default spec. Detail settings in the drivers do nothing to stop nor increase the "pauses" and I have re-installed XP several times ( fresh format each time...)

Again, i'm thinking that the lack of having the ability to change the AGP aperature size in the bios has limited me in this case, but then again, I may be wrong. Sooooo...I'm looking for some input and ideas that maybe I have overlooked, because everything else is running beautifuly fast, but the video card.

So what do you think It can be? The more brains in on this, the better, because there has to be a solution...If i have left something out in my endless rambling, let me know, because i'm at a loss as to what is causing the card to "misbehave" other than the already suggested *missing* bios setting for the AGP.

EDIT: I had to add this...PLEASE, don't suggest i RMA the card because it "sucks" in your opinion...because I won't do it, I already WILLINGLY voided the warrantee by OC'ing it ( seems to be alot of suggestions going around lately on returning things that have been OC'ed or otherwise )...and DON'T suggest that I go out and get an "NVIDIA" Gflop or something...as i'll NEVER buy any of their products, PLEASE keep your comments within the specified question/s asked, like the old saying goes..."if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all"

If it's not constructive, then it's just obstructive/destructive..

THANKS!

Last edited:

Kingslayer

I see no reason to RMA the card but I do have a question. A friend of mine has a Sapphire 9000 that has almost the exact same problem. Are you by any chance running a Sapphire card?

I have found her problems to be driver related as a complete format didn't stop this issue with her. The Sapphire drivers and the "built by ATI" drivers from ATI's site didn't fix it.

OP
P

PsycoPhreak

Hmmm.....no, my card is a retail ATI product, I have tried EVERY driver there is available...with no difference as well, must be something with the hardware somewhere...

I'm still as stumped as ever...

OP
P

PsycoPhreak

My motherboard is based on the intel 845e chipset, so I know it's not a problem with that.

The AGP aperature does bother me, in the least it should be 64Mb...but 55Mb?...I know MSI has got to do something about it though, like I said, It may very well be what is causing the trouble...

I'm going to pull the card out and check it on another motherboard that I can adjust the AGP settings and such, see if that makes a difference.......

Last edited:
OP
P

PsycoPhreak

Ahhh, so I guess you were purposely being a P.I.T.A? That would be considered "thread crapping".

Nice to see people follow the rules...:rolleyes:

ANYWAY...

there has got to be others out there with something CONSTRUCTIVE to add....if so, i'm all ears......

EDIT: Instead of adding another post to the thread, i'll put this here...

I have tested the 8500 on another motherboard with the AGP aperature size set to 64Mb and 128Mb respectively....on both settings...the pauses are still there, although, when set to 128, they are almost gone...not completely, so this leads me to believe that it could be the card or drivers themselves......

Then again, i can't be sure, the board i tested it in was my old abit BE6II v2.0, which had crapped out on me and popped some CAPS..( all of which i replaced, bringing the BE6 back from the dead...) so i'm still at square one...

Last edited: