• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sunbeam 4 channel fan controller question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

axis01

I got mine in yesterday and hooked it up. All is running fine but I had 2 747s and a Cessna line up for approaches on my house cause these LEDs are too fricking bright. What is a good way to make them less bright and not make it look ghetto?

Axis

Automata

Destroyer of Empires and Use
I got mine in yesterday and hooked it up. All is running fine but I had 2 747s and a Cessna line up for approaches on my house cause these LEDs are too fricking bright. What is a good way to make them less bright and not make it look ghetto?

Axis
Easy/cheap way is to use a sharpie and color the LED, it dims it a little. Another cheap way is to put a resistor between the board and the LED, reducing brightness.

OP
A

axis01

Easy/cheap way is to use a sharpie and color the LED, it dims it a little. Another cheap way is to put a resistor between the board and the LED, reducing brightness.

I'm all about cheap and easy :D as long as it doesn't look bad. I'll give the sharpie idea a go. Thanks.

Axis

Automata

Destroyer of Empires and Use
OH :p

It works "ok" but rubs off pretty easy. I may do the resistor mod.

OP
A

axis01

just wave them off hahahahahaa

HAHAHA, that's good.

It's all good, they were just doing a flyby Maverick. I need to get it fixed before my wife loses her lovin feeling, OK, enough Top Gun quotes, well one more, I DON'T feel the need for L-E-D. NOw i'm done.

Well the sharpie did lessen the brightness by 5%, lol. It's still bright as hell though. I may just have to break down and do the resistor mod if someone (thideras) was nice enough to post a link to it. :beer:

Axis

OP
A

axis01

If the bulbs pull out that easy, it might be advantageous to wrap some tint or something around them, instead of having to solder. I aint skeered to solder, it's just the quick and easy coming out in me. :D

Axis

grumperfish

I just used black nail polish on mine. Not much dimmer but they're no longer quite as distracting. When I just had one I could deal with it, but with the two it was nearly as bright as my old case which had externally-mounted LED/gauges. I thought about doing the resistor mod but I don't trust my soldering abilities. I also hooked up an extra 70x15mm fan behind the controllers (mounted as exhaust with classy gorilla glue) to keep them cool when undervolted as I have a 250GB 410AS drive in the external vented 3.5" slot just above them.

Fortunately, you can't see any of the mounting through the side panel.

Nebulous

Señor Senior, Senior
Well I just got back from ratshack. Got me:

1-5pk of 22k ohm 1/4watt resistors
1-5pk of 10k ohm 1/4watt resistors

Only $1 ea.

Each of the guides show these guyz using 5k, 10k and even a 22k. I'll prolly use the 10k's and see. If they're still too bright, then i'll swap em out for the 22k's ;)

DAYAM, gonna make me have to work for a less bright fan controller, lol.

Axis

Dam right. There's no mercy for ghetto moddings :cool: