• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sunon 84cfm w/Tt speed control?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I would've thought you'd do better with a fan designed specifically for low noise. For a start if you're throttling a fast fan ALL the time you're wasting energy and that energy has to go somewhere. I don't know whether the speed controller you plan to use is based on PWM (pulse width modulation) or resistance throttling (rheostat for example). If it's resistance based then you'll be generating heat as you throttle which is not really a good idea if you can help it.

There are quite a few decent fans on that BestByte site. For the best silencing make sure you pick a ball bearing type (less noise increase over the lifetime of the fan). Other quiet but relatively powerful options include fans from Papst and Panaflow but you'll have to look elsewhere for those.

I had considered doing the same thing but after looking into it a little I found that the TT rheostat cannot handle the load of such a powerful fan (well maybe it could handle it but its well out of spec and I would want to chance the thing melting on me)

Deathknight said:
I had considered doing the same thing but after looking into it a little I found that the TT rheostat cannot handle the load of such a powerful fan (well maybe it could handle it but its well out of spec and I would want to chance the thing melting on me)

Why'd you feel that way? What's the switch rated at?

Namagomi said:
I'm running the TT rheo on my 80mm Delta EHE (80cfm). It works just fine at all levels of voltage.

How does it sound on the low/medium settings? Is the low one "bareable"? Have any guesses on the dba level on the low setting?

get the rheostat from www.sidewindercomputers.com i have one, and it brings that exact same fan (sunon 84 cfm) from 6k rpm to 4k rpm, which keeps my room nice and quiet, i can barely hear it with music on..id say its a much better idea, cause you dont have to go behind your case when you want to change the speed, you can mod the rheostat to the front panel..very easy

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/rheosformc.html

there is a direct link for you

It says the Rheostat cant handle more than .7 amps. The sunon is .76amps.

no big deal?

And what I like about the Tt one is that you can set it to a much lower setting if I need it to be.

well, i have 4 92mm fans(not high speed or anything), and 1 other 80mm fan(a panaflo..its quiet) in my case, and i can say they all blend together nicely, so i cant really tell which is louder

RangerJoe said:
well, i have 4 92mm fans(not high speed or anything), and 1 other 80mm fan(a panaflo..its quiet) in my case, and i can say they all blend together nicely, so i cant really tell which is louder

do not believe this man. is computer sounds like an Apache is hovering over his house.

Well the sunon came to38/31C full load, but this thing is LOUD. :D

Unfortunately, the Tt speed control is a 3pin to 4pin setup. The sunon is a 4pin, so I can't connect it to the Tt speed control :(

Guess I have to go w/the rheostat

Last edited:
Back