• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Super computer or real computer? RATE IT!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CheeZeTM

I was wanting someone to rate my computer, after finally fetting the tweeking done with software it is up and running

Hardware:
Pentium 4 2.4Ghz @ 800FSB
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
600W LEAD POWER supply
1x256 Crucial DDR pc2700(i think)
60gig IBM 7200
40gig Seagate 5400
1xfloppy
1xHP DVD200i writer
1xCD burner 52x24x52
GeForce 2 pro @ 64MB (weak point)

Cooling:
Thermaltake Xaser edition spark7
5xQuad-blue LED fans 80mm (case)
PS with 2x fans

Box
Clear Acrilic with blue-themed cathodes

Overclocking
2.4Ghz OC'd to 3.123 and 3.124 (duno, its HT enabled 1mhz off)
Project

upon finally completeing this task, not a difficult one, i have made it where my 2nd hard drive (40gig) is responsable for ALL Ftp hostings and downloads (music videos software Etc) This problem was presented when i woudl download alot at once, sucking up all the hard drive useage alowing me to stare at slow-moveing screen, the 60 gig is mainly for tasks at hand, like properly running the operating system, or web-browsing, jammin, etc etc etc...

Please let me know, i am new to this forum

nealric

The responses will probably be slow- modding really is not the place for it- but i will give it a whirl :)

Sounds like it is probably loud, needs more (faster) ram, definetly a vid card.
So here are my recs.

Take that floppy to the kicker on a footbal team- and see how far he can punt it :D
If you have $100 to spend: sell your crucial, get a pair of 256 sticks of pc3500 or better.
If you have $250to spend, do the above and get a fx5850 or radeon 9600 xt.
If you have $350, do the ram and get a 9800pro
If you have $450 watercool your proc in addition to the above
(prices assume you sell the old ram + vid card)

Drec

erm its...decent?

256mb of pc2700,,,i personally cant live without a gig...and if i had an intel rig i would definatly have pc3500 or better...

...i thought my video card was bad.....i hope you dont game..

your cpu is pretty good..and you got a nice OC.

2 slow hard drives and only 100GB of combined space..

you got alot of work to do id start with the RAM then the video card...after that you might be in pretty decent shape.

hope this helped.

OP
CheeZeTM

CheeZeTM

The Thermaltake cooking fan for the CPU is the loudest, if it is turned all the way down via the ADJ know in front, you cannot hear it, but you can still see it, trying to make do with what i have, money wise, i am 17 and quit my job 3 weeks ago so $$ is tight, mostly trying to get ride of all this PC crap around the house, i had 512 PC133 in my K7 box, witch i custom modded the box like you would NOT believe, as in it was made out of wood (i built it) had a drum blower placed by the PS and all the ports were on the fron, includeing the monitor and CD rom (you know the rest) it was small, fit nicely in the fron of my blue computer desk, but it got old, last night i condemed it, stayed surpriseingly cool, could have been better, i would like run raid in my box (my mobo has it built in) but never really thought i would need it, this is the PC i used for mostly sound and messing around, it has the nice 5.1 sound card built in with my philips mx 5000D reciver, gameing on this computer? depends on ur opinion on gameing, i play one game, halo untill somthing like it comes out again and needs higher specs, thats when i will buy but right now i have bigger problems, like this wood bench i am forced to sit on becasue my chair broke is hurting my a**, was thinking of water cooling, wasent really sure, was thinking about peltire, but wasent really sure (sure that i needed it) the Tt cooling is great! i had that crap intel fan(cuz the original Tt fan broke) it was CONSTANTLY over 100degrees just sitting there, now i cant get it up to 100, it is running at ...89 right now, i am running winamp, yahoo IM, Kazaa lite 4 netscape windws, my server and talking osme one guy also running in background is asus probe, my mail alert(i have mail by the way) Trillion, norton, PCchillin and soundmax (5.1 system) i have only one complaint, this clear acrylic case gets dusty QUICK and air will not blow it out sufficently, si u have to dissasebble it, i was thinking about going with a thermaltake, but the ones i like are representing moto and stuff and i dont want that crap on my case, i have a picture on my case, i will put it in my yahoo briefcase and share the HTTP site

toyomatt84

If you're seriously going to run RAID, you need two new harddrives, the ones you got A. won't work together, and B. are outdated in speed.

Get two Raptors, either 36 or 76gigs a piece.

You say you're using Kazaa??? That's a HUGE NO-NO!!! Kazaa has been breached, so to speak, by the government. Even K-Lite, so don't give me the typical, "But it's K-lite, I'm Fine." Because you're not. One of my friends is going through court trials now, for ONE downloaded song off of K-Lite. They started at 280,000 dollars US, and now they seem to be trying to agree with 5,000.

If I were you, get rid of Kazaa, and pickup Bittorrent. Make sure to get a good client, Shareaza, Bitcomet. And find some good sites that host the torrents, Suprnova, Torrentbox. If you do these things, I have just saved your life.

Drec

sorry but i cant read a sentance thats 15 lines long with no paragraphs. :-\

nealric

Before a moderator sees it, i would advise editing out the piracy talk.

Its specifically prohibited here.

BTW its not the government you have to worry about with kazaa- its the RIAA. And no, suing for invaision for privacy will not work. The IP blocker is useless.

StreetPharmacy

An IP blocker wont stop anyone from finding your IP. It will just take them an additional fifteen minutes. Take this piece of advice: If you are going to use "file-sharing" programs, don't use the one that is #1 on the "Die die die!" list of the RIAA.

OP
CheeZeTM

CheeZeTM

the IP blocker does not block my IP, it blocks theres, dont ask how but they have it, i was just looking at it, said it neede to be updated, i was trying to get a list of the blocked IPs i will post if i find it

OP
CheeZeTM

CheeZeTM

Found it, i attatched the .txt file this file is the one before the update, my last update was september 23 of 2003

ok, i have completed update and it now includes IP adresses of"bad flies" of the ones that mess up during, umm, the use of the item being downloaded, but really doesent matter because more than likely others havent updated so they have the files too, it was updated 2.5Kb

Attachments

• BannedIpRanges.txt
    34.8 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:

pfx

Registered
Decent overclock. I wouldn't call it a supercomputer.

Drec first post
erm its...decent?
made me laugh my a** off. (Aside: do people manually censor posts out of common courtesy or what?)

CheeZeTM, try getting some air filters, sure they reduce airflow a bit, but I can't remember the last time i had to dust anything in my case. My friend dusts his SP97 all the time.

LiGhTBoY

1) You should NOT have posted in this section, this is for modding.
2) You should NOT talk about filesharing,warez, etc...etc...
3) Read 1+2.

Yuriman

Err, your pc is ok but if I had to live with 256mb of ram I probably wont use my pc nearly as much. If I take half of what I have out(leaving 512mb in) it feels realy slugish to me. Definantly get new/more ram.

OP
CheeZeTM

CheeZeTM

http://www.pcmicrostore.com/PartDetail.aspx?q=p:10501145

sufficent ea? i need to order another cathode and 4LED cooling fan, fan LED broke (light), cathode arived broken and they "said" they were shipping me another one, they said they shipped it, i never recived it as well as the massive screw up on my ide cables, ordered 2 blue eide and 1 blue flooy, recived 1 glow in the dark floppy and 2 clear on silver ide