• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Super Flower Leadex 80 Plus Platinum "8 Pack Edition" 2000W PSU Inquiry

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AMDFTW

Registered
Super Flower Leadex 80 Plus Platinum "8 Pack Edition" 2000W PSU Inquiry

Good Evening :)

I just received my Super Flower 2000W PSU :D Upon unboxing I noticed the power cord is the European socket. I have been searching but no luck in finding an EU to US adapter that can match the cord's handling of 16A 250V~. Does anyone know if they make US power cords that can handle that and if I can simply use that power cord instead of the one that came with the Super Flower 2000W PSU :confused:

Thank you in advance :thup:

Last edited:
If you're expecting to get all 2kW out of that thing, you'll need a NEMA 5-20 to C19 power cable as seen midway down the page here and a 20A circuit.

Make it 5-15 to C19 if you don't have a 20A circuit, and at that point you will not reach full 2kW capacity without blowing the breaker first.

IIRC, that unit is specified for 120VAC input, so you should be ok there, but double check to make sure. Some units like this never intended or UL cleared for the North American market forgo 120V because they don't need to deal with it.

If you're expecting to get all 2kW out of that thing, you'll need a NEMA 5-20 to C19 power cable as seen midway down the page here and a 20A circuit.

Make it 5-15 to C19 if you don't have a 20A circuit, and at that point you will not reach full 2kW capacity without blowing the breaker first.

Here is a link of the circuits I have here. I can't tell if it is a 15A or a 20A. And thank you for the link. If it all works out, then I just need to replace the standard wall socket with one that accepts a 5-20, correct?

IIRC, that unit is specified for 120VAC input, so you should be ok there, but double check to make sure. Some units like this never intended or UL cleared for the North American market forgo 120V because they don't need to deal with it.

Here is a link to verify this unit's input here. Just to make sure by you.

Last edited:
It is NOT 120VAC.
It's 200-240VAC.
Only way to use this in the US is plugging into a 220VAC dryer outlet. You need to make your own power cord.

Here is a link of the circuits I have here. I can't tell if it is a 15A or a 20A. And thank you for the link. If it all works out, then I just need to replace the standard wall socket with one that accepts a 5-20, correct?

Looks like you're wired for 20A - you should have NEMA 5-20 outlets already. No, you cannot simply swap a 5-15 for a 5-20... the breakers and wiring have to handle the increased current, too. While I don't think a 5-20 on a 15A circuit is against code, you still wouldn't get more than 15A out of it.

Here is a link to verify this unit's input here. Just to make sure by you.

Don't go by that - 80 Plus isn't really a safety certification company. Look on the label of the unit itself. If it's good to 100-120VAC, it will tell you there. You can't always trust labels, especially with the gutless wonders, but SF is a good company. If it says 200-240, be ready to spend money on installing a proper 240V circuit just for that unit. In that case, it either wouldn't run at the lower voltage, may run to a point, or simply go pop.

This particular model isn't available in North America because 15A household circuits cannot run it to full power. However, a 20A circuit should be able to at least get close. I've thought about getting these for my mining computers, as they all run at 240V, but it's not worth it for me as they all run just fine off 1250-1600W units. Including two of the Super Flower 1600W monsters.

Why do you need this thing, anyway? I've got 7 video cards cranking on one of those 1600s.

Edit - got a good look at the label of one of these here: http://www.kitguru.net/components/p...eadex-platinum-8-pack-edition-2000w-review/3/

Yeah, theirs is definitely not good for 120V operation. If yours is the same, you're pretty much not running this without a 240VAC circuit. In that case, I would suggest having an electrician run a circuit for a NEMA 6-20, then grab one of these line cords, third table down.

Last edited:
If you are not against running some new wire you could run a piece of 14-2 romex and put this on a 2 pole 15 amp breaker with a nema 6-15r receptacle and then change the plug on your wire to a 6-15p plug and you should be ok to go. I would not suggest adapting this plug to work on a dryer plug as the dryer circuit is protected by a 30 amp breaker which could cause problems if there was ever a short in the psu as it is rated for a 15 amp circuit.

Why do you need this thing, anyway? I've got 7 video cards cranking on one of those 1600s.

This is why (pics): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 :)
Atm, the AX1500i can handle only my 9590 and 2 295X2s, 1400W running Prime95 and FurMark. The other two 295X2s I added for visualizing how it would look when its all said and done. Pay no attention to the cable management, it will be dealt with after I have everything up and running, lol.

FYI, Its not for mining. Its for distributed computing specifically SETI@home. FOR SCIENCE!

Yeah, theirs is definitely not good for 120V operation. If yours is the same, you're pretty much not running this without a 240VAC circuit. In that case, I would suggest having an electrician run a circuit for a NEMA 6-20, then grab one of these line cords, third table down.

I read the other posts after this but yours seems the safest way to go about it, since I have never not done it.

It is NOT 120VAC.
It's 200-240VAC.
Only way to use this in the US is plugging into a 220VAC dryer outlet. You need to make your own power cord.

I'll check if I have a dryer outlet, lol

Last edited:
Dayum and I thought my 1350w was overkill (as everyone stated it was) :rofl:
Depends on what you're doing.
Crunching 24/7 is a high usage, high demand function.
Everything runs 100% all the time.
I can see the need for big power based on what he's running and the rig function. It's not the normal daily/gamer.

I can see the need for big power based on what he's running and the rig function. It's not the normal daily/gamer.

Yeah I know. I used to crunch many moons ago. I just like to have the wattage just in case ;)

I read the other posts after this but yours seems the safest way to go about it, since I have never not done it.

Always good to be up to code ;)

20A at 240V from a 6-20 is plenty for that unit - it should only draw as high as 10A or so, thanks to the higher voltage. Heck, a NEMA 6-15 should easily do it, too. I've got four mining rigs and 25 video cards mining at 240V, 20A off an L6-30P as I type this.

At any rate, you're dealing with serious power, best to do it right.

Seems killing the overkill if just used for YouTube, Netflix, browsing, and 1440p gaming. Originally it was just for that purpose: 9590 + 2 295X2 in Quadfire. But when I got into distributed computing, I wanted to contribute while still do what I was doing. So I tested it out successfully. I was able to run BOINC projects while gaming at no loss to performance for either endeavor. 4 cores and 1st 295X2 (2 gpus) was used for gaming and the other 4 cores and 2nd 295X2 was used for running projects. However when I was asleep, at work, or on vacation, I set it so that all cores and gpus were running projects. Naturally I just wanted to increase contribution while reclaim my original gaming setup hence the purchase of two more 295X2s and the 2000W PSU. That way I am back to my Quadfire setup while simultaneously contributing 200% more that what I originally did. And when I'm inactive... forget about it: 8 cores + 8 gpus (4 295X2s) for BOINC Projects... Glorious :D

Quite befitting the PSU's name. If you didn't know already "8 Pack" is the name of the overclocker that first did 4 295X2s :clap:

Always good to be up to code ;)

20A at 240V from a 6-20 is plenty for that unit - it should only draw as high as 10A or so, thanks to the higher voltage. Heck, a NEMA 6-15 should easily do it, too.

My PSU says 200Vac~240Vac 15A.
The cord it comes with says 260V~ 16A.
But NEMA 5-15 to C19 is only 125V 15A.
While NEMA 6-20 t C19 is 250V 20A.

While I understand 6-20 is clearly the choice to go with I would just need an electrician to rewire first. I am curious about the 5-15 because if I can bypass that whole rewire bit and just use the socket I have (5-15) since the circuit is already set for 20A, then I'll do that.
So... how can the 5-15 "easily do it" if it can only handle 125V vs the PSU's 200V(ac) min? Or did you mean it can do it I just won't get the full 2000W. If so, are there 5-15 cords that can handle 200~260V, or CEE7/16 to 5-15 adapters?

I've got four mining rigs and 25 video cards mining at 240V, 20A off an L6-30P as I type this.

Did you do it yourself or get an electrician to run a 240V circuit?

Last edited:
If you didn't know already "8 Pack" is the name of the overclocker that first did 4 295X2s :clap:
Yes, I know who Ian (8-pack) is. ;)
I have been involved in competitive benching for almost a decade, and overclocking in general for 2 decades.

I am curious about the 5-15 because if I can bypass that whole rewire bit and just use the socket I have (5-15) since the circuit is already set for 20A, then I'll do that.

Forget the 5-15... it's against code and will not work for 240V operation at your power levels. You'll burn the place down if you suck 2400 watts through one. I was talking about the 6-15. 15A at 240V gives you about 3600 watts to play with. NEMA 6-xx outlets are for 240V, 5-xx are for 120V.

You need an electrician to wire a 6-15 or 6-20, and a line cord for the unit to match. The site I posted has them both... just make sure it has a C19 on the power supply end and you're good.

Last edited:
Forget the 5-15... it's against code and will not work for 240V operation at your power levels. You'll burn the place down if you suck 2400 watts through one. I was talking about the 6-15. 15A at 240V gives you about 3600 watts to play with. NEMA 6-xx outlets are for 240V, 5-xx are for 120V.

You need an electrician to wire a 6-15 or 6-20, and a line cord for the unit to match. The site I posted has them both... just make sure it has a C19 on the power supply end and you're good.

Oooh... I thought you did a typo with the 6-15 and meant 5-15, lol. My bad. Alrighty then, will be doing that. Thank you for all your help, marked as [SOLVED] :thup:

NOTE: From most forums I read through and learn from, Overclockers is the one with the most effective advice in the sense that when you have a problem others tend to give straight to the point options/answers using... facts :shock: while having fun off-comments here and there in an easy going sort of way. While other forums tend have commenters who have a stick up their *** :screwy: Or they go off topic and the problem never gets resolved :bang head, or a flame war erupts :mad: etc. Its so... :facepalm: Point is thank you guys for not being those guys/gals :rock:

Last edited:
Back