• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Super Gaming computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

topweb99

Registered
I starting to get togather the parts I need for a great gaming computer and feel I may need a little advice,or help This is what I'm looking at right now,If you see something that won't work or you know of something better for around the same price PLEASE let me know ok here it is:
Case not real sure yet
Motherboard:ABIT IT7 MAX Intel 845E
CPU: Pentium 4 2.4BGHz 512K 533MHz CPU Northwood
Videocard: MSI GeForce4 TI4400 128M DDR &TV out AGP -
soundcard:CREATIVE LABS SOUND BLASTER AUDIGY
Hard Drives:2 Seagate Barracuda IV 80GB 7200RPM
RAM: sticks of 256MB DDR PC2700
CD Rom: Lite On 48x12x48 Burner
DVD:LITE-ON 16x DVD ROM Drive
Floppy:standard
do you think this will be a good setup?
Thanks for looking, Rich

bibus

Registered
It would be great but consider replacing the video card with an ati 9700 pro ...I think it could make a big difference,or even better wit until nv30 comes out then you ll be able to choose at lower price.

bibus

Registered
consider buying a 512 mb stick as it is better for ocing not to have many sticks , and 512 over 256 does make a big difference for gaming...

OP
T

topweb99

Registered
super gaming computer

I wanted the 9700 pro but that put me over my price range,the 4400 I can get for under $200 thanks for the input

OP
T

topweb99

Registered
super computer

512 instead of 2 sticks of 256 well that better anyway,its cheaper..will do and thanks

bibus

Registered
then i suggest you to take a TI4200 (and overclock it of course!!!) and buy a 512 mb stick of ddr2700... may be you should take a bd7II motherboard for extra $$$ ...

OP
T

topweb99

Registered
super computer

Is the 4200 card better then the 4400 card?
Is the Abit bd7II alot better for overclocking?

bibus

Registered
The 4200 is cheaper but usually gets to 4400 speed or even 4600 speeds with overclocking ...as for the bd7II and IT7 they overclock pretty the same but bd7II is cheaper so you could spare some $$$

bibus

Registered
sorry for so many posts but you should consider buying only 1 hard drive, and save the money for the ati 9700 pro , that s what i would do but you have to wait for nv 30 to come out to see price dropping on the video card
You see my main setup at the bottom of my post is almost the same as the one you re wanting to build , it s damn fast but the g4 is not allowing me to play with Anti-aliasing set to 4x or anisotropic set to 4 ,without loosing too much fps

OP
T

topweb99

Registered
supercomputer

I hope I keep getting great advice ofcoarse it might get a little more confusing...lol..I usually overclock every thing i have(cel [email protected])not real sure if I'm going to have to do much overclocking with this system..maybe a little tweeking

Buzzdog

You could save some money by going with a 1.8a CPU instead of the 2.4b. The 2 chips are practically identical, they have the same mulitplier. The only difference is that the 2.4b is stock 133fsb and the 1.8a is 100fsb. You will end up with a similar end overclock with both chips, but you will have a bigger bang for the buck with the 1.8. I know newegg has the ledteck TI4600 for around $250. It has very good cooling and overclocks well. The ATI9700 cards are the king of the hill right now. History has shown that ATI has had driver problems. Also looking at it, I have flash backs of the Voodoo5 with the extra power plug it takes. I am holding out for the next nvida cards to hit the market to make my choice. I am not sure if it will happen before 03 though. My best guess is that Nvida is having growing pains going to the .13 process, similar to AMD. We will probally see the same delays with Intel and Prescott when they move to .09 micron process. As far as your choice of motherboards. I have had a BD7 and I have a IT7 right now. My BD7 died on me and I had to RMA it. My IT7 has been rock solid stable. I prefer the IT7 for the extra vrimm options it has. Also it has a better raid controller on it. I picked mine up right after the IT7-2 came out and got it at a discount. If you do go with a raid-0 and run XP you will need to have a 3rd HD to set up a 16k block stripe on the raid. It is easy enough to do as long as you have a 3rd hard drive to use to set it up with. Basically, you install XP on your single HD and shut down. Hook up your raid and set the block size to 16k in the raid bios. Boot up XP and format your raid strip at 16k block size. Once you have your raid formatted, remove your single HD and install XP on the raid. The XP installer defaults to 64k block size when it formats new drives. I had to go through this set up when I built my IT7 system. Good luck on your new machine.

Buzzdog

Robbie

Re: super computer

topweb99 said:
512 instead of 2 sticks of 256 well that better anyway,its cheaper..will do and thanks

But would INPEED future upgrades.
Though if you do get two sticks as appose to just one. Make sure that they are matched.
Rob

bibus

Registered
Well the 1,8 a is surely a better bang for the buck , but I don t think it could hit 2,4 speed (...2,9... 3,0 ghz oced) without massive upping of the vcore...(which is a snds guaranted ) as for the bd7 , I was talking about bd7II...
no offense , just my point of view ...

wumeeks

Registered
The BD7-II board is great! i own the raid version and with no voltage increases I get my 2.0ghz northwood to 2.35ghz completely stable no worries....upped my 3dmark score A LOT too..anyway I'd go with the 2.4!! the 533 FSB is just plain badass. you can find em online for under 200 (googlegear.com, etc etc) and I would go with the BD7-II RAID board and save the cash unless you really need the firewire/usb connections (this board has no legacy plugs..not even ps/2 ports)..if you lookin for somethin newer check the BE7-RAID board....as for the vid card I'd wait until the ati9500 pro comes out..it'll be reasonably priced for the goodies that it can do...plus its directx9 ready..thats a major bonus. Hope that helps.

Buzzdog

Ok, I dont think you all get the point. A 1.8a at 100fsb stock will give you 400fsb, 100x4, the PIV has the quad pipe on it. If you take that same 1.8a and run it at 133fsb, then you have 533fsb for the memory pipe to the CPU, the exact same as a stock 2.4b. All PIV's are basically the same, the only difference being the multiplier and the stock fsb speed. So if you looked at a 1.8a and a 2.4b under the scope then you would see the same chip. I can attest that I have a 1.8a that will run 2.7 150fsb at stock voltage. It will not go any higher though, no matter how much voltage I throw at it. I would be happy to go against a 2.4b at 150 fsb, I am willing to bet you that you will see the same CPU scores. If you are going to go with a 18 multiplier chip, why start at 133fsb when you can go with a chip that starts 100fsb and will end up at the same in the end????

Buzzdog

bibus

Registered
right but my point is that a 2.4b will be moore likely to hit 3ghz than a 1,8 ...that s for sure
An average 1,8 is to hit 2,5
An average 2,4b ...2,8
So in terms of price and performance ,yes an 1,8 is the king but the 2,4B is moore likely to go higher. And the guy wants moore power !!!

lamigra420

Registered
My biggest suggestion is that you get Corsair XMS Series DDR 3200 Cas 2 Memory. It is the Best Period! It will allow you to overclock better than any other memory out there. Just look at the best overclockers signatures and they probably have this memory. Also consider the Leadtek Winfast A250 Ti4400 Graphics Card. Newegg has a great price. As for the CPU you can get a 2.66 P4 from TCWO.com for $300.00 I did an couldn't find anything even close. Fast shipping no hassles. Retail box. All you could ask for. Alpha Pal 8942 Heatsinks are good or Swiftech MCX4000. I second the single hard drive suggestion as well. Western Digital 7200 rpm 8mb Cache 80 GB is what I have. The extra cache helps alot. Hope this helps.:burn:

Re-Volt

Registered
Go scsi ..muhaha..

just a suggestion..I enjoy being able to be the first one in the maps on counterstrike games, and everything else..