• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Super Noob looking for some advice/critic on my 1st q6600 overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ShaneMac

Registered
Super Noob looking for some advice on my current q6600 OC setup

I had a go ocing my system about a year ago and it all ended in tears so i've been running stock for a while but the ocing bug has bitten me hard recently and i need some advice on what i've done so far to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Please feel free to insult any stupid mistakes i may be making. :)

Current setup

MOBO
Striker Extreme 680i

CPU
Q6600 on stock cooler (Zalman9500 on the way)
(2.4ghz stock) currently 2.925ghz with 325mhz fsb(1300mhz) with 9x multi @ vcore 1.34v(actual-pcprobe)

RAM
4x1gig (mix of 2x OCZ ddr2 pc-8500 & 2x Corsair Dominator ddr2 pc-8500 (both quote 1033mhz)
timings and voltages for the 2 types of ram are identical
400fsb (800mhz) @ 2.16v
All ram timings are set to auto. All ram billed as 1033mhz but seems more stable running at 800mhz.

GPU
2x 8800gt on stock settings

Power
OCZ 850w

OS
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

System is running pretty stable with idle temps for the 4 cores around

43,43,38,42*C

and under load (cpuburnin after 15 min run)

67,67,63,65*C

Other Voltages
Set(V)/ Actual(V)

Vcore
1.3625v / 1.34v

Mem
auto / 2.16v

1.2v HT
auto / 1.26v

NB Core
auto / 1.34v

SB Core
1.55v / 1.58v

CPU VTT
1.55v / 1.5v

DDR2 Controller
auto / ?

DDR Channel A
auto / ?

DDR Channel B
auto / ?

DDR Termination
n/a / 1.07v

3.3v
n/a / 3.2v

5v
n/a / 4.97v

12v
n/a / 11.71v

I think I have the bulk of any info you might need to give a good analysis in there, but if not, please feel free to mention anything i may have left out and i'll find it out for ya.

I'd really really appreciate any help/guidance/info/(insults :) ) you may be able to give me no matter how trivial you may think it is.

Thanks guys,
ShaneMac

Last edited:
OP
ShaneMac

ShaneMac

Registered
# If, by some form of magic, i've managed to hit the nail on the head with my current setup, please also feel free to leave multiple posts as to my "supposed " magic skills of first time overclocking success. :)

PS - I will make sure to credit you on my gravestone...

PPS - Please help me, i really do need help...

MattNo5ss

5up3r m0d3r4t0r
:welcome:

I have an old 650i motherboard in another system, and it's not the best OCer in world...
It also has 4x1GB sticks in it. When using all four DIMM slots I had to crank my NB voltage up really high, 1.743v, but that is typical on the old 600 series nVidia chipsets.

You should keep your RAM in a 1:1 ratio with your FSB while OCing your CPU, it eliminates instability due to "weird" FSB:RAM ratios.

Be sure to read the C2D/C2Q OCing Guide if you haven't already.

MIAHALLEN

The 680i chipset had a hard time getting decent FSB speeds with quad core CPUs...your OC looks pretty decent for your setup...but if I were you, I wouldn't stop trying ;)

deadlysyn

Folding Team Content Editor, Who Dolk'd my stars S
I would really recommend looking for a better cooler than the Zalman 9500. If it were a dual core, you may be fine, but a quad may be a bit too much for it. If you want to stick with air, some recommended coolers are (in no particular order):
  • Prolimatech Megagalems
  • ThermalRight Ultra 120 Extreme (TRUE)
  • ThermalRight Venomous X
  • Xigmatek HDT-S1283
  • Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer
  • Xigmatek Thor's Hammer

OP
ShaneMac

ShaneMac

Registered
Thanks very much for the advice guys, i really do appreciate it. Give me the will to try and go even higher.

The zalman i'll be getting for free from a friend, which is the main reason i'm thinking of putting it in. I'll have a look at them other coolers that you mentioned and see what i think.

KonaKona

Trashcan Man Member
I would really recommend looking for a better cooler than the Zalman 9500. If it were a dual core, you may be fine, but a quad may be a bit too much for it. If you want to stick with air, some recommended coolers are (in no particular order):
  • Prolimatech Megagalems
  • ThermalRight Ultra 120 Extreme (TRUE)
  • ThermalRight Venomous X
  • Xigmatek HDT-S1283
  • Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer
  • Xigmatek Thor's Hammer

Don't forget the noctua D14, for no other reason but that it's huuuuuuuge!

Thanks very much for the advice guys, i really do appreciate it. Give me the will to try and go even higher.

The zalman i'll be getting for free from a friend, which is the main reason i'm thinking of putting it in. I'll have a look at them other coolers that you mentioned and see what i think.

As before stated the nvidia chipsets are pretty useless for nice quad speeds, but you do have a pretty nice OC already. You have some headroom on the temps, so you might try pushing the voltage until you get up to about 75c load. I would probably aim for 3.2ghz on that setup, 3.6 max. Good luck with it! :thup:

OP
ShaneMac

ShaneMac

Registered
Don't forget the noctua D14, for no other reason but that it's huuuuuuuge!

As before stated the nvidia chipsets are pretty useless for nice quad speeds, but you do have a pretty nice OC already. You have some headroom on the temps, so you might try pushing the voltage until you get up to about 75c load. I would probably aim for 3.2ghz on that setup, 3.6 max. Good luck with it! :thup:

You weren't kiddin'. That things ridiculously big and there was me thinking the zalman was gonna be too big :) .

My OCing has taken a bit of a bad turn as of late. Wasn't near the computer for a few days after a looong weekend and now it seems very unstable with anything over 2.7ghz. Prime 95 gives it an insta-bsod.

Seems like a few late nights are in order. Strangly that doesn't bother me at all, if anything i'm looking forward to the troubleshooting :) .

OCing can be odd at times...

redduc900

Inactive Moderator
Assuming a later G0 stepping quad, and DRAM timings of 5-5-5-15-2T at 2.16V, give these settings a try for 3.6GHz...

Code:
AI Tuning: Manual
Nvidia GPU Ex: Disabled
LinkBoost: Disabled

FSB - Memory Clock Mode: Unlinked
x FSB - Memory Raio: N/A
FSB (QDR), Mhz: 1600 
Actual FSB (QDR), Mhz: 1600
MEM (DDR), Mhz: 1000 (= 4:5 FSB : DRAM ratio at a FSB of 400MHz; 266/667 MCH strap)
Actual MEM (DDR), Mhz: 800

Vcore Voltage: 1.375 (adjust + or - according to the VID)
Memory Voltage: 2.16v
1.2v HT Voltage: 1.3v
NB Core Voltage: 1.55v
SB Core Voltage: 1.50v
CPU VTT Voltage: 1.3v
DDRII Controller Ref Voltage: AUTO
DDRII Channel A Ref Voltage: AUTO
DDRII Channel B Ref Voltage: AUTO

tCL (CAS Latency): 5
tRCD: 5
tRP: 5
tRAS: 15
Command Per Clock (CMD): 2 clock (2T)

Advance Memory Settings (leave all on AUTO, or manually adjust accordingly)
tRRD: 5
tRC: 22
tWR: 6
tWTR: 8
tREF: AUTO
tRD: 7
tRFC: 42
Async Latency: AUTO

CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled
MCP PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled
SATA Spread Spectrum: Disabled
LDT Spread Spectrum: Disabled

CPU Internal Thermal Control: Disabled
Limit CPUID MaxVal: Disabled
Enhanced C1 (C1E): Disabled
Execute Disable Bit: Disabled
Virtualization Technology: Disabled
Enhanced Intel Speedstep Tech: Disabled
LDT Frequency: 5x

PCIEX16_1 Frequency (Mhz): 100
PCIEX16_2 Frequency (Mhz): 100
PCIEX16_3 Frequency (Mhz): 100
SPP<->MCP Ref Clock, Mhz: 200

OP
ShaneMac

ShaneMac

Registered
Wow, thanks REDDUC, i might give it a try for a laugh. With the stock cooling i can't imagine it would last very long at that speed.

I have it running nicely now at 2.8ghz and vcore of 1.13v which keeps everything nice and cool.

I was hitting over 80*C with prime95 running at 2.9ghz with 1.32v, so 1.375v (probably about 1.35v actual) would be gettin damn close to 90~100*C.

Also my computer never gets past POST unless i have CPU VVT set to at least 1.5v (don't ask me how long it took to find that out), but maybe that way works too.

Did you have this setup yourself for a Q6600, as your sig shows an E8500?