• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

super orb dual fan anyone I ordered one and

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wildone

I just wandered if I made a good choice.It is suppose to work upto 1.56 ghz so do you think it will be good for o/c my 900 mhz tbird,thanks.

Tweak ordered one for his daughter, ive no experiance with it nor have i read any reviews but word on the street it its not the greatest for overclocking but i think it should handle 1 or 2 voltage bumps. Why did you choose that may i ask as opposed to say the FOP38, FOP32-1, or the newer Vantec (too lazy to look up model #)

OpenFriday (Mar 11, 2001 01:16 p.m.):
Tweak ordered one for his daughter, ive no experiance with it nor have i read any reviews but word on the street it its not the greatest for overclocking but i think it should handle 1 or 2 voltage bumps. Why did you choose that may i ask as opposed to say the FOP38, FOP32-1, or the newer Vantec (too lazy to look up model #)

Honestly I like the way that it looked and the dual fans is while I chose it ,thanks for the response

Thermaltake HSF's are best described as giving good performance for their price. It's fashionable to sneer at them a bit, but there's nothing really wrong with them. I've got a Gorb on my system, and it does a fine job (after lapping). And yes, one reason that I wanted it at the time was that it looked totally nifty. However, I now want more out of my system, and among other things, I'm switching to an Alpha.

You should do fine with your SuperOrb, but I doubt seriously that it will take your 900 to it's greatest potential. For that you will need a high-performance HSF, and you will of course pay more for that. Since you've already ordered the Orb, stick with it a while and tweak your system. Who knows, you may decide to go with water in another month anyway.

P.S.: Be VERY careful putting this thing on. The greatest fear I have known in my computer career (short of seeing sparks and clouds of smoke), was in putting all my strength into twisting my Gorb onto my precious little expensive brand-new processor. Many other people can tell you similar stories, and not all of them have happy endings.

I must agree with Dennisc on that one. I thought I was gonna break my dads cpu while putting the Mini super orb on. It takes a bit of force to get it on.

If you were dead set on going with a Thermaltake heatsink the Volcano II would have been a better choice (for the same price as the super orb). It's quieter and works better. Also it is more intelligently designed and has a convenient clip with a place for a screwdriver tip to help attach it.

I'm sure you'll do fine with the SORB, but it really is not the greatest HSF.

Sorry, but all the reviews I've read say it's not a good performer. I'd take/send it back and the Volcano or something better. Go to Anadtech or TomsHardware, they both have a large heatsink roundup report.

I want to know where they get off claiming it is good for up to 1.5ghz seeing as amd doesn't aprove them this high and I doubt it would be good enough for an overclocked 1.5ghz tbird

here is just so you know that I am not reading it wrong,thanks for the response

I bet it *CAN* cool a 1.56 GHz, but you're going to be getting temps up around 150 F/70 C or so. It would work "technically", but how many of us want to run our chips that close to the edge ;-)

Some of you folks have it exactly right. The SuperOrb is a good heatsink for mild overclocking. That's what it's designed as. Why don't people get the FOP38, etc? I'd be willing to bet NOISE is the biggest factor. I know it was for me, and I could NOT handle those screaming fans that so many of the bad-*** HSF's use (I have a project studio based on Cubase, so things need to be as quiet as possible).

I have a SuperOrb on my T-bird 800. It overclocks to 1Ghz without much effort (and I have a red t-bird, so I'm dealing with aluminum interconnects).

I have just ordered the Volcano II, cuz of the ultra quiet and efficient fan. It is said to perform better that the SuperOrb, and the price can't be beat. I'll let you folks know how it works in the real world.

Torch (Mar 14, 2001 04:04 p.m.):
Some of you folks have it exactly right. The SuperOrb is a good heatsink for mild overclocking. That's what it's designed as. Why don't people get the FOP38, etc? I'd be willing to bet NOISE is the biggest factor. I know it was for me, and I could NOT handle those screaming fans that so many of the bad-*** HSF's use (I have a project studio based on Cubase, so things need to be as quiet as possible).

I have a SuperOrb on my T-bird 800. It overclocks to 1Ghz without much effort (and I have a red t-bird, so I'm dealing with aluminum interconnects).

I have just ordered the Volcano II, cuz of the ultra quiet and efficient fan. It is said to perform better that the SuperOrb, and the price can't be beat. I'll let you folks know how it works in the real world.

I was just wandering where you ordered the volcano II from and wandered if you knew anyone whowanted to buy a brand new super orb??????? thanks

Resell the SuperOrb on Ebay. You may take a little bit of a loss, but it's better than being out $15.

I had a Super Orb on my 1.2 for awhile and the temps ran about 42 full load and wasnt that loud, then I got an Alpha PAL 6035 with a delta 38 cfm fan on it and my temps went down to 35 full load and with the cover on my tower it is not that much louder than the twin fan Orb was. The Orb certainly LOOKS cooler than the alpha but you never see it with the case closed.

The Volcano II Rocks

Got my Volcano II ... and so far it's all it's cracked up to be. It's definitely quieter than the SuperOrb, and it cools much better. I got it for $12.50 + shipping through Coolerchips.com. I've been through the Chrome Orb and SuperOrb, and while neither are the ****, their both good HSFs. But the Volcano II is cheaper and works much better. Everybody, go buy one!!! hehe...

Back