• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Super Orb....... yeah I know, bad one.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wega!

A friend of mine went out and bought a new cooler, and he didn't ask me first, so he came home with a Super Orb, DOH! He is already having troubles with it, he got it on, but now he can't get it off again, any good advises?
Also, can this cooler be used for overclocking? or is his Coolermaster better?
Thanks

Walter:-( (Mar 20, 2001 04:03 p.m.):
A friend of mine went out and bought a new cooler, and he didn't ask me first, so he came home with a Super Orb, DOH! He is already having troubles with it, he got it on, but now he can't get it off again, any good advises?
Also, can this cooler be used for overclocking? or is his Coolermaster better?
Thanks

Have him use a pair of needlenose pliars to pull the Orb away fron the tab while he presses down on the metal flange.

The Orb can give a moderate overclock...it depends on what his objective is.

Terry

The Orbs aren't bad, it's just that for the price, there are better choices. I have no experience with the Sorb, but my Gorb was just fine on an overclocked C-566. However, at speeds above 900 and voltages above 1.8, my Gorb started fizzing out. I will say that lapping it and using a good thermal paste really helps.

The reason why Orbs are bad is because they crack dies (sorry batboy personal experience). Be VERY careful when removing that HSF because it is very voulnerable to killing chips. Batboy is right however, they do provide OK cooling but I would rather have a good not crached CPU. :)

Back