• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

super orb

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

R0BB23

im getting a super orb from mwave for 15 dollars + to be shipping costs. it comes with a 3 pin to 4 pin converter and with thermal compound of course. its 23, 17 cfm. ive meausered and it will fit.

anybody have any yas or nas about this.

super nay. There are many better coolers even in that price range. What cpu are you using it for.

AHAHAHAHA DONT GET AN ORB!!!! anything is better than an orb. probably even the stock hsf that mwave gives you on you mobo bundles.

All right. I would say get one of the Vantec heatsinks. They are a few dollars more but will totally outperform the orb AND has a better clip.

R0BB23 (Jul 31, 2001 10:29 p.m.):
whats the problem with super orb

and where can i find a vantec

sent you a pm. http://www.pcnut.com has all the heatsinks I put in the pm and they are maybe the best vendor on the market. Little bit more expensive there, but you are buying from an excellent retailer.

Now here are two things I am unsure of. Isn't the Sorb only for a Socket A cpu?
The orbs are not great heatsinks, they don't have enough surface area to effectively dissipate heat. They used to be good, but as cpus got hotter and faster, they are no longer anywhere near as good as they once were.

Problems with an Orb:
A: If your using it for a Vid card I can see that (Better lap it first)
B: Better make sure that its flat (Lapp it)
C: Not enough CFMs to even cool a northbridge (Well maybe a northbridge)
D: I don't think their any good unless you lap them
E: Better lap it again just to make sure
F: Take the stock fan out and put a Delta 80mm high output on it. (Wait if your going through all this much trouble might as well get a copper heatsink)
Have fun OCing that P/// what type is it?

lol ambient, I have two chromo orbs on the way, just to get a gander at them. One for a northbridge or video card and the other as a monitor ornament!(for five bucks each, i think i did well).

AmbientFiction (Jul 31, 2001 10:41 p.m.):
...(better lap it first)
... (Lapp it)
... I don't think their any good unless you lap them
... Better lap it again just to make sure

lol do you think you remember to mention lapping it, sweets?

phendish (Jul 31, 2001 10:47 p.m.):
AmbientFiction (Jul 31, 2001 10:41 p.m.):
...(better lap it first)
... (Lapp it)
... I don't think their any good unless you lap them
... Better lap it again just to make sure

lol do you think you remember to mention lapping it, sweets?

man, but they need it so badly.

I think I'm doing alright with my Volcano II. Duron 800@1053 with 50c under heavy load. Now I don't have experience with other sink / fan combos for modern chips but I do know that almost all posts I've read about the orb family do not speak well of them. Neither did any of the sales people or the other customers I talked with when I went shopping for my current setup. It was more than enough to convince me, stay away from orbs.

The place I got my volcano from had a global win 38 for only $5 more (thats about 10 cents to you americans) but the guy said it was unbelieveably loud. I decided to sacrifce a bit of productivity in exchange for tolerable sound levels. I'm ok with a 50c max for now.

the Fop 38 is loud. If i ever get the time(and money) there are a few things i want to try on it.

Back