• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Super quick simple electronics question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Illah

If you'd be so kind as to look at this scematic real quick:

circplan.jpg

Now, here's the question. I want to 'split' the +12v and put one end to the middle pin of the potentiometer, the other to the collector of the trans. Then from there I need to hook one of the side pins of the pot to the base of the trans, right? What about the other side pin of the pot? Does it matter?

Thanks!

--Illah

OP
Illah

Illah

Anyone? I have the parts in front of me, solder and all! I just wanna get this setup.

--Illah

macklin01

Computational Oncologist / Biomathematician / Mode
I use that same basic design. See

http://www.math.umn.edu/~macklin/fanbus/basic_design.gif

You can either connect the unused end of the pot to the center lead or leave it alone altogether.

I can speak for this design -- it works well and doesn't need a HS on the trans.

One thing you might want to consider -- solder two idential transistors in parallel in your design. It splits the load on the transistors and reduces the strain. Should add to the MTBF without significantly increasing cost.

-- Paul