• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Super-speed Internet satellite blasts off in Japan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

agentbad

"Japan launched a rocket Saturday carrying a satellite that will test new technology that promises to deliver "super high-speed Internet" service to homes and businesses around the world.
art.japansat.ap.jpg

A rocket carrying a super-fast Internet satellite lifts off from its launch pad on the Japanese island of Tanagashima.

The rocket carrying the WINDS satellite -- a joint project of the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) and Mitsubishi Heavy Industries -- lifted off its pad at 5:55 p.m. (0855 GMT).

If the technology proves successful, subscribers with small dishes will connect to the Internet at speeds many times faster than what is now available over residential cable or DSL services.

The Associated Press said the satellite would offer speeds of up to 1.2 gigabytes per second.

The service initially would focus on the Asia-Pacific region close to Japan, a JAXA news release said.

"Among other uses, this will make possible great advances in telemedicine, which will bring high-quality medical treatment to remote areas, and in distance education, connecting students and teachers separated by great distances," JAXA said.

The rocket was launched from Japan's Yoshinobu Launch Complex at the Tanegashima Space Center."

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/02/23/japan.satellite/

intresting... 1.2gbit is friggin fast... but i wonder if they got the ping times down... satalite net has always had pings like dialup.

intresting... 1.2gbit is friggin fast... but i wonder if they got the ping times down... satalite net has always had pings like dialup.
Minimum 1-way ping for geosynchronous satellite (only one that would make sense for this application), which orbits at ~36000 km, is 120ms (36000 km / 300000 km/s), aka 240ms roundtrip.

So no, pings with satellite ISPs will always be at 56k levels, as lower is physically impossible.

Minimum 1-way ping for geosynchronous satellite (only one that would make sense for this application), which orbits at ~36000 km, is 120ms (36000 km / 300000 km/s), aka 240ms roundtrip.

So no, pings with satellite ISPs will always be at 56k levels, as lower is physically impossible.

Ok I don't know what you just said but my head is spinning :D

Yeah but this only affects real time data. Voice and video can be compensated for with buffers, although it will surely make it noticeable.

At 1.2 G/ps, only gamers will care about ping times (not me).
Of course the fat cats at Hughes would love to FAP you after 5 minutes of being online....

more realistically, you are looking at 2000-4000ms pings in the real world (the business i work for is also a certified reseller of Hughesnet AND Wildblue).

On the best days, you get about a 2 second (2,000ms) turnaround. On heavy usage days, 4-6 seconds is not uncommon. Gotta love slow technology up in orbit... :rock:

Yes, that speed sounds so great, but the ping is & always will be a prob. with sat. net.

Back