• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sure, dont listen to the computer nerd

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

timmyqwest

Disabled
I work at a restarunt and all of our orders are taken on computers, which are networked to another computer in our back office.

There is one computer for the dining room, and it is sitting in the kitchen, on top of a hot box...this thing keeps pizza's warm at about 200 degrees ok, i said four months ago.

"We really should take that computer down from there, it's not a very good spot to keep it because of the heat"

now let me remind you, not only is it on top of this hot box but it is on a shelf, there is one opening, the front.

Well friday was our first 80 degree day of the year, ironicly someone put a box of crackers in front of the computer on the shelf, now it has no cool air, and it is on top of a 200 degree oven.

As soon as it gets busy...CRASH!

they fiddle with it for 20 mins and again ignoreing anything i have to say. they play with some chords and it still doesnt reboot, i touched the case at this point and it was too hot to hold.

After about 20 mins it finally rebooted, i presume because it had time to cool down. Lucky for them night had set on us and i moved the crackers.

I'm never going to say anything again about the computers...not even the fact that they are using windows 98 to run this network that always crashes yet they dont know why.

It's ok, they pay for my adiction :D

I hate ignorant people that won't listen to warnings about computers, but your the first one they run to if something goes wrong after they didn't take your advice

that reminds me of a client i had who put the heater next to her feet next to the comp. I told her she should atleast angle it away from the computer but she didnt listen untill the comp kept getting BSOD. the so called genius there kept messing wiht the computer doing all sorts of weird stuff to it and never could figure out the problem. she finally calls me and i go there look in the bios to see that it is reading 150F degrees cpu then i go to the store buy a better HSF and tell her this time to move the darn Heater and guess what... no more BSOD. temps are now like 110F. btw this was along time ago back in the athlon days. i think it was like a 600mhz chip or somthing.

CyberFed said:
same way at my work i tell em to do stuff to the network and they dont listen and stuff crashes all the time...so now i just sit back and laugh and tell em i dont know how to fix it ...ha!

lol, yup me too

I figure i'm a 17 year old who works his *** off compaired to some of the other people there, they pay me 6.75 an hour make me work friday and saturday nights...i dont care if they loose money because they cant take my advice...oooooo well :rolleyes:

bafbrian said:
That's the probelm with ppl nowadays, they don't want to listen, even when things go wrong.
its people like them that keeps techs in buisness.

They don't listen to you cause of your age and job position. [sarcasm]Your boss is obviously a genius who has all the answers, he's not gonna take advice from one his "peons". [/sarcasm]

that reminds me a few weeks ago when i told my friend he needed a better HSF on his 2100B. running the stock HSF, 56C idle/68C load, and he wonders why he gets random reboots and lockups. he went as far as reformatting, and it kept locking up on him. i kept telling him over and over again, but no he doesnt listen. then just last week, he goes out and buys a Tt V9 and tells me "i found out what the problem is, i needed a new heatsink", i hate when people get so darn ignorant. i told him not to ask me for comp help anymore "since he can do it all by himself"

People like this really annoy me. I hate it even more when they do what Sir Barton said in his last sentence, drives me nuts.

And to think I used to be a Tech Helpdesk Call Handler... One of the good ones might I add!

I've never really had that problem. When ever someone around here has a computer problem they call me.

The strange thing is that I enjoy tech support. Yeah I must be really weird.

I know that can be a problem working for a smaller business. I have to deal with it sometimes, and I am the tech guy! The key is to present the solution to the problem in a manner they can relate to...for managers, that means explaining how it saves time, for accountants, how it saves money :)

I had someone at work fry a K62 with a space heater. It was only a 475mhz, but she had the heater on high with the fan on high right on the front of the case, blowing towards it.

Nothing quite like having ambient temps over 100F!!!!

Back